[News] SaaS With Free Software: Now as a Distribution Too

  • Subject: [News] SaaS With Free Software: Now as a Distribution Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:27:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IBM punts commercial Hadoop distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone is a Google, where the
| MapReduce distributed data cruncher and
| its related file system was created, or
| even a Yahoo, where Hadoop was nurtured to
| do what Google does - but in an open
| source, community-driven fashion. Hadoop
| is used at Yahoo! and Facebook and
| Twitter, and it helps drive a portion of
| Microsoft's Bing search engine. But it is
| not widely understood in the corporations
| where IBM does its business.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/19/ibm_hadoop_distro/

IBM chooses Hadoop to analyze big data

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20005279-62.html

Cloud computing's secret sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| Along the way I suspect we'll see open-
| source companies like Puppet Labs and
| Opscode, as well as open-source savvy
| companies like RightScale, really thrive.
| It's one of the first times open source
| has taken the lead in simplifying IT,
| rather than feeding its complexity.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-20005254-16.html

Servoy Simplifies SaaS with Open Source Servoy 5.2 and PostgreSQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Servoy today announced the first open
| source version of its award-winning SaaS
| application development platform, Servoy
| 5.2 using PostgreSQL. This change means
| that Servoy users have enormous
| flexibility in deployment to cloud hosting
| or desktop systems. It also enables open
| source developers looking for RAD tools,
| rapid prototyping and data application
| development to utilize a mature, easy-to-
| use environment.
`----

http://www.prlog.org/10685822-servoy-simplifies-saas-with-open-source-servoy-52-and-postgresql.html

The Challenge to Open Up the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| The question is whether this is enough. As
| we've seen in the past, it is very
| difficult to foster open source
| communities in environments dominated by a
| few top players. And with Amazon,
| Microsoft, Google and, increasingly,
| RackSpace calling the shots, it would take
| quite a counter-push on the part of the
| open source community to make any real
| headway. With the cloud is still in its
| infancy, says ZDnet's Paula Rooney, that
| effort will have to come soon before the
| playing field is laid out by the big guys.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/cole/the-challenge-to-open-up-the-cloud/?cs=41237

Recent:

Hadoop Crunches Web-Sized Data