[News] Good and Bad Examples of Transparency; Open Hardware Gains Traction

  • Subject: [News] Good and Bad Examples of Transparency; Open Hardware Gains Traction
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:03:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Launch of Australian Gov 2.0 Showcase

http://www.katelundy.com.au/2010/05/17/launch-of-australian-gov-2-0-showcase/

Local newspaper editors say public bodies becoming more secretive

http://foia.blogspot.com/2010/05/local-newspaper-editors-say-public.html

Startupâs Kits Help You Hack Your Home

,----[ Quote ]
| SuRF is powered by the companyâs Open
| Source Home Area Network operating system.
| OSHAN is based on TinyOS, a platform for
| wireless sensors that currently has about
| 10,000 developers. Moss hopes OSHAN-
| powered devices could replace the networks
| we have at home â Personal Access
| Networks, with a range of about 30 to 40
| feet â with something he calls Home Access
| Networks, with a range of 100-200 feet.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/people-power-gadgets/

Touring New York Startups: Meet Bug Labs

,----[ Quote ]
| To upend the delays and financial dangers
| of the normal hardware process, New York-
| based Bug Labs offers an open-source
| hardware alternative.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/bug-labs-office-tour-2010-5

Recent:

C,mm,n- Shaping The Future Of Personal Mobility-2

,----[ Quote ]
| C,mm,n is an open source project that aims to
| help create the future of sustainable
| personal mobility.
`----

http://www.psfk.com/2010/05/cmmn-shaping-the-future-of-personal-mobility.html

Domestic robot becomes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| French robotics company, Robosoft has
| released the open source software for the
| development of its Kompaà R&D robot, the
| interactive robot aimed to assist elderly and
| dependent people at home.
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/5901/domestic_robot_becomes_open_source

Linux wins the Clone Wars.

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as I am concerned, cloning windows is
| fine if the hardware you are cloning to is
| the same as the original windows hardware. If
| your hardware is different, as is most often
| the case, then you would be better off to go
| with a fresh install. With Linux it wasn't
| bothered at all with the different hardware.
|
| So for me it is official. Linux wins the
| Clone Wars. For windows all I can do is
| create a motivational poster with a picture
| of a BSOD and a huge FAIL! caption.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-wins-the-clone-wars-35380

Guy Who Helped Mod Cable Modems Arrested By The FBI

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091102/2251476775.shtml