[News] Updates on Action Against ACTA and the Digital Economy Bill

  • Subject: [News] Updates on Action Against ACTA and the Digital Economy Bill
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:05:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Written Declaration 12 on ACTA: halfway there, participation still needed!

,----[ Quote ]
| 185 signatures already, 184 left for an
| absolute majority! The Written Declaration
| 12 (WD12) on the ACTA agreement is still
| open for signatures from Members of the
| European Parliament (MEPs); it is now
| halfway completed. By setting red lines to
| the EU negotiators, it addresses key
| issues of the right to a fair trial and
| liability of Internet service providers.
| This week is a plenary week in Strasbourg,
| where MEPs will have an occasion to sign
| it. Who are the signatories so far? Who
| should be contacted in order to get to 369
| signatories?
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/written-declaration-12-on-acta-halfway-there-participation-still-needed

Ofcom cooks up a 3-strikes fudge - industry to do it themselves

,----[ Quote ]
| Ofcom proposes to leave it to industry to decide
| how the Digital Economy Act will operate. It will
| leave gaps in the Initial Obligations Code for industry to
| fill. Given that Ofcom has a mammoth Â142 million budget,
| should we excuse this lack of attention to the public interest?
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=532&Itemid=9

Ofcom #DEAct Code of Practice limited to ISPs with 400,000 subs & excludes mobile broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| ISPA Secretariat met with Campbell Cowie and Chris Rowsell
| from Ofcom this afternoon to discuss the ongoing work surrounding
| the DE Act.
`----

http://www.trefor.net/2010/05/17/ofcom-deact-code-of-practice-limited-to-isps-with-400000-subs-excludes-mobile-broadband/

Recent:

ACTA Draft Release Was Apparently A One Time Deal: Now We're Back To Secrecy

,----[ Quote ]
| After about a year or so of very public
| questions over the incredible level of
| secrecy of ACTA (including the patently
| ridiculous claim that details couldn't be
| revealed for national security reasons),
| including a complete smackdown by the EU
| Parliament concerning the whole ACTA
| process, the negotiators finally (and very
| reluctantly) released the latest draft in
| April. Of course, by then, the full
| document had already leaked. Still, the
| officially released document left out some
| of the key parts that were in the leaked
| draft. Funny how that works.

Will Nick Clegg push to repeal the Digital Economy Act?

,----[ Quote ]
| For ORG supporters, there is a lot that we
| can hope for from the new administration.
|
|     * We can hopefully assume that talk of
|     a repeal of the Human Rights Act is
|     now shelved.
|     * ID cards and their database should be
|     scrapped
|     * The DNA database should be restricted
|     or scrapped
|     * Promises of a Data Freedom Act are
|     welcome
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/will-nick-clegg-push-to-repeal-the-digital-economy-act

EC's ACTA Negotiator Devigne: Rejected U.S. "Blackmail"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5029/125/