[News] Europe Under Fresh Attack by Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] Europe Under Fresh Attack by Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:53:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The G3/08 referral in the Blogs

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-242395

German software patents are a sad day for software

,----[ Quote ]
| Those members who know me well will be
| aware that one of the main reasons that I
| originally got involved with the Pirate
| Party was because of its support for
| patent reform, and in particular its
| opposition of software patents. Today is
| a sad day for software in Europe; the
| German High Court has now effectively
| declared software patentable without any
| meaningful limits. It's especially bad
| news for Free and Open Source Software
| (FOSS).
|
| [...]
|
| As a Free Software developer, I'm
| particularly worried, because Free
| Software can only work when anyone can
| use the software and distribute it to
| others. Due to software patents in the
| USA, there is a whole bunch of
| functionality that was â or still is â
| impossible for Linux distributions to
| offer "out of the box." These include
| such basic features as watching DVDs and
| Internet video, creating and listening to
| MP3s, and working with JPEG2000 images.
| In all these examples the patents cover
| mathematical algorithms for encoding and
| decoding data. What makes things worse is
| that FOSS developers are blamed for the
| lack of these, even though they've
| written the code and it works perfectly
| well.
`----

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2010/may/20/german-software-patents-are-sad-day-software/

German Court Effectively Opens The Floodgates By Saying Software Patents Are Legal

,----[ Quote ]
| So, as we sit and wait in the US for a
| ruling on Bilski, hoping (but doubting)
| that it will greatly curtail software
| patents, Germany is going in the opposite
| direction.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100520/0258459508.shtml

Mueller: German high court declares all software potentially patentable

http://lwn.net/Articles/388643/

German Court Declares Software Patents Legal

,----[ Quote ]
| A German court has found in favour of
| Siemens, in a case that critics say will
| allow patentability of any kind of
| software in that country, contrary to the
| stated policy of the European Union.
|
| The ruling allows Siemens a patent for a
| âclient-server software for the automatic
| generation of structured documents (such
| as XML or HTML)â according to analysis by
| open source campaigner Florian Mueller on
| the FOSS Patents blog. The full court
| statement has been published by End
| Software Patent
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/german-court-declares-software-patents-legal-7211

Recent:

German appeal court upholds Microsoft FAT patent

,----[ Quote ]
| The German appeal court has overturned a
| decision by the German Federal Patent Tribunal
| to declare Microsoft's patent for the File
| Allocation Table (FAT) file system invalid. In
| judgement number X ZR 27/07, handed down on
| Tuesday, the tenth civil division of the
| Karlsruhe-based court confirmed the
| enforceability of the company's commercial
| rights in Germany. It has not yet published
| its reasoning, but has confirmed the decision
| in a short press release (German language
| link).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/German-appeal-court-upholds-Microsoft-FAT-patent-985550.html

Microsoft gets its FAT Patent back in Germany

http://slashdot.org/submission/1222248/Microsoft-gets-its-FAT-Patent-back-in-Germany