[News] Obama is Still Attacking Civil Rights With ACTA Promotion

  • Subject: [News] Obama is Still Attacking Civil Rights With ACTA Promotion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:19:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Obama Reiterates Support For ACTA, As More People Point Out How Far ACTA Is From The Purpose Of Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| A few months back, President Obama
| publicly stood behind ACTA despite tons
| of concerns about it from the public.
| It's disappointing that as more and more
| concerns and problems with ACTA have been
| highlighted, Obama has not reconsidered.
| He still seems to be taking the position
| that "more copyright must be good, and
| ACTA therefore is good." That's a naive
| position. The group Open ACTA points us
| to a statement made by Obama in Mexico,
| concerning better trade relations with
| Mexico, where he again insists that ACTA
| is a key part of better trade
| relations...

Joint Statement from President Barack Obama and President Felipe CalderÃn

http://www.articleant.com/gen/79818-joint-statement-from-president-barack-obama-and-president-felipe.html

Newspaper Edits Politicians Out Of Bill Signing Photograph; Doesn't Get Why People Think That's Bad

,----[ Quote ]
| Romenesko points us to a story of a West
| Virginia newspaper that photoshopped
| three politicians out of a bill signing
| photo that ran with a story about the
| bill.
|
| [...]
|
| This is a newspaper that won't run photos
| of candidates running for election? It
| makes you wonder how they report on those
| elections. With illustrations? And then
| to claim that it's okay to edit a
| photograph by then calling it a "photo
| illustration" rather than a photo that's
| been edited seems a bit questionable no
| matter where you stand on the question of
| journalistic ethics.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100520/0245249507.shtml

Help sign the Written Declaration 12/2010 about ACTA

http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Help_sign_the_Written_Declaration_12/2010_about_ACTA

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement: Impact on Individuals and Intermediaries

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Digital Alliance has
| released Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement: Impact on Individuals and
| Intermediaries.
|
| Here's an excerpt:
|
|     ACTA might have a negative impact on
|     individuals as Internet citizens and
|     as consumers of digital technologies
|     because some of its requirements go
|     beyond Australian law. ACTA will
|     facilitate excessive damages payouts
|     by mandating the controversial 'lost
|     sale analysis' for the assessment of
|     damages and encouraging punitive
|     style statutory damages that set
|     arbitrary amounts for infringement.
|     ACTA will also broaden the scope of
|     commercial scale infringement to
|     criminalise purely private acts that
|     occur in the homes of some
|     Australians, and will create a new
|     criminal offence for 'camcording'.
|     ACTA may strengthen existing
|     procedures to lock up copyright
|     material and prevent Australians from
|     accessing or using it in certain
|     legitimate ways.
`----

http://digital-scholarship.org/digitalkoans/2010/05/19/anti-counterfeiting-trade-agreement-impact-on-individuals-and-intermediaries/

A Chance to Act on ACTA - Now

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite all the excitement over the
| Digital Economy Act and minor things like
| general elections, the great ACTA machine
| is still grinding away in the background,
| slouching towards Bethlehem to be born.
|
| But there's hope: the European Parliament
| has shown itself unhappy with the way the
| process is being conducted, in secret,
| and without any kind of democratic
| oversight.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2968

Recent:

Written Declaration 12 on ACTA: halfway there, participation still needed!

,----[ Quote ]
| 185 signatures already, 184 left for an
| absolute majority! The Written Declaration
| 12 (WD12) on the ACTA agreement is still
| open for signatures from Members of the
| European Parliament (MEPs); it is now
| halfway completed. By setting red lines to
| the EU negotiators, it addresses key
| issues of the right to a fair trial and
| liability of Internet service providers.
| This week is a plenary week in Strasbourg,
| where MEPs will have an occasion to sign
| it. Who are the signatories so far? Who
| should be contacted in order to get to 369
| signatories?
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/written-declaration-12-on-acta-halfway-there-participation-still-needed

Ofcom cooks up a 3-strikes fudge - industry to do it themselves

,----[ Quote ]
| Ofcom proposes to leave it to industry to decide
| how the Digital Economy Act will operate. It will
| leave gaps in the Initial Obligations Code for industry to
| fill. Given that Ofcom has a mammoth Â142 million budget,
| should we excuse this lack of attention to the public interest?
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=532&Itemid=9

Ofcom #DEAct Code of Practice limited to ISPs with 400,000 subs & excludes mobile broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| ISPA Secretariat met with Campbell Cowie and Chris Rowsell
| from Ofcom this afternoon to discuss the ongoing work surrounding
| the DE Act.
`----

http://www.trefor.net/2010/05/17/ofcom-deact-code-of-practice-limited-to-isps-with-400000-subs-excludes-mobile-broadband/

ACTA Draft Release Was Apparently A One Time Deal: Now We're Back To Secrecy

,----[ Quote ]
| After about a year or so of very public
| questions over the incredible level of
| secrecy of ACTA (including the patently
| ridiculous claim that details couldn't be
| revealed for national security reasons),
| including a complete smackdown by the EU
| Parliament concerning the whole ACTA
| process, the negotiators finally (and very
| reluctantly) released the latest draft in
| April. Of course, by then, the full
| document had already leaked. Still, the
| officially released document left out some
| of the key parts that were in the leaked
| draft. Funny how that works.

Will Nick Clegg push to repeal the Digital Economy Act?

,----[ Quote ]
| For ORG supporters, there is a lot that we
| can hope for from the new administration.
|
|     * We can hopefully assume that talk of
|     a repeal of the Human Rights Act is
|     now shelved.
|     * ID cards and their database should be
|     scrapped
|     * The DNA database should be restricted
|     or scrapped
|     * Promises of a Data Freedom Act are
|     welcome
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/will-nick-clegg-push-to-repeal-the-digital-economy-act

EC's ACTA Negotiator Devigne: Rejected U.S. "Blackmail"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5029/125/