[News] Competition Over SaaS is Based on Free Software Components

  • Subject: [News] Competition Over SaaS is Based on Free Software Components
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:02:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

VMware's role in Spring Framework could drive enterprises away

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/vmwares-role-in-spring-framework-could-drive-enterprises-away-580

Google and VMWare team up for Cloud Portability

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Google I/O 2010 conference, Google and
| VMware announced they were co-operating on
| several projects which they hope will ease
| development of cloud applications and improve
| portability, at least between the respective
| companies cloud offerings.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-and-VMWare-team-up-for-Cloud-Portability-1003979.html

Open source BI vendor ties up with Hadoop

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source business intelligence company
| Pentaho has said that it will become the
| first BI company to support Apache Hadoop,
| the project that offers a framework for large
| volume database analysis.
`----

http://news.techworld.com/applications/3224253/open-source-bi-vendor-ties-up-with-hadoop/

Recent:

IBM punts commercial Hadoop distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone is a Google, where the
| MapReduce distributed data cruncher and
| its related file system was created, or
| even a Yahoo, where Hadoop was nurtured to
| do what Google does - but in an open
| source, community-driven fashion. Hadoop
| is used at Yahoo! and Facebook and
| Twitter, and it helps drive a portion of
| Microsoft's Bing search engine. But it is
| not widely understood in the corporations
| where IBM does its business.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/19/ibm_hadoop_distro/

IBM chooses Hadoop to analyze big data