[News] Intellectual Monopolies Have Not a Promising Future, Microsoft Resorts to Relying on Them

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Have Not a Promising Future, Microsoft Resorts to Relying on Them
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:21:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Are Trade Secrets and Trademarks the Future?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, some might say that this retreat into
| the widespread use of trade secrets to
| protect products is a huge loss to
| humanity, and a backward step from the
| current situation where people patent
| stuff â which, as the word originally
| meant, implies revealing to the world your
| secrets.
|
| I think this is nonsense, and part of the
| romantic propaganda put about by those
| that use intellectual monopolies to stifle
| competition. Indeed, what is striking
| about so many patents today is that they
| reveal precisely *nothing*: they are
| either obvious, in which case they don't
| tell us anything we didn't already know,
| or else they are make such vague and
| general claims (even though patents aren't
| supposed to work like that) as to be
| useless for practical purposes.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2971

Workshop on May 26 to Explore the Intersection of Patent Policy and Competition Policy

http://www.uspto.gov/news/pr/2010/10_16.jsp

Kids, back in my day, there was a company called âMicrosoftââ

,----[ Quote ]
| Google landed some big hits against Apple
| yesterday at their I/O developer
| conference. Reading through the narrative
| coverage, youâd think they were the only
| two companies that matter, which leads me
| to ask, whatever happened to Microsoft?
`----

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/05/21/kids-back-in-my-day-there-was-a-company-called-microsoft

LTE Patent Pools Taking Shape