[News] Why Windows Desktop Cannot be Taken Seriously, Unlike GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Why Windows Desktop Cannot be Taken Seriously, Unlike GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:28:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

6 things Microsoft needs to do before Iâll take Windows seriously

,----[ Quote ]
| While Iâm going to address security later
| in this article, let me say one thing
| about Windows Updates: you need them. If
| you are
| not applying updates at least monthly, you
| will regret it, unless youâre one of those
| oddball system administrators who doesnât
| MIND finding that your servers are part of
| a botnet, or have been turned into a porn
| server, or a spam server, or more on the
| stability side of things, are ridden with
| bugs that Microsoft has deemed worthy of
| fixing in a patch or a hotfix.
|
| As for my second truth there, in my
| experience Windows servers act âfunnyâ
| when theyâve been up and running (and
| providing some service, not just sitting
| idle) for longer than a month or so. Odd
| things will happenâ you might see some out
| of control paging file usage, bizarre
| error messages, services that are in some
| sort of âstartingâ or âshutting downâ
| limbo (which only a reboot can fix), you
| know the drill.
|
| My point is, Windows servers need frequent
| reboots. If youâre a Windows IT person and
| you donât think that only a month of
| uptime isnât ridiculous, then you
| obviously havenât done anything other than
| Windows in your data center, because Iâm
| here to tell you: itâs nuts.
|
| Microsoft needs to address stability first
| and foremost, and while theyâre at it, and
| while weâre on the subject of uptime, they
| need to engineer things in a way that
| wonât require a reboot for seemingly EVERY
| SINGLE UPDATE.
|
| My last maintenance evening I had to
| reboot one particular server four times in
| order for it to take all of its updates,
| and it had only been two weeks since its
| last round of them. Thatâs ridiculous. I
| can count on one hand the number of times
| Iâve actually HAD to reboot a Linux
| machine after applying pushed-out updates
| for it.
|
| [...]
|
| I always find it funny when I read
| articles that are mostly FUD that say
| things like âLinux is not ready for the
| desktopâ and ânot ready for the
| enterpriseâ, because as I just discussed,
| the reality of the situation is that well,
| neither is Windows. Whether youâre running
| XP or Windows 7, Server 2003 or Server
| 2008, youâll find that compared to the
| alternatives, youâre running something
| that requires constant attention, constant
| hand holding, constant reboots, constant
| patching, constant reloading,
| troubleshooting, more hardware
| requirements, and more security-mindedness
| in your administrative approach, just to
| do its job.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/6-things-microsoft-needs-to-do-before-ill-take-windows-seriously/

I've Installed Linux, Now What?

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you deliver the bad news to someone
| who is upset, technically unsavvy and has
| just overwritten their Windows system with
| Linux?
|
| He had installed a second hard disk in his
| system and wanted to put Linux there. The
| problem was that when he installed it, he
| did so to the primary (Windows) disk.
|
| I looked up a PC Recovery business in the
| phone book for him and politely told him,
| "Good luck." I unplugged my phone until
| the next morning.
|
| I'll never know what happened to that guy
| or if he ever recovered his files or his
| Windos system. But, it makes me wonder if
| that scenario could play out today with
| our newer, cooler, smarter installers.
| Could that happen on Ubuntu, for example
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story286041.html

Recent:

Why GNU/Linux is ready for the Average User

,----[ Quote ]
| I find it amusing that people like to jump on
| the Ubuntu bashing bandwagon just because an
| installation (or some piece of setup) goes
| astray. Ever tell the average user they need to
| reinstall Windows? Nine times out of ten they
| will look at you side ways (or if your a tech
| such as myself they will ask you to do it for
| them). Does this make Windows less popular or a
| "not ready" operating system just because you
| need a professional (or someone with at least
| some know-how) to get it all installed and
| running properly? No, it does not. Why should
| the standard be any different for GNU/Linux?
|
| In short I'd like to say this: Linux is more
| than ready for the average user to be using,
| but just like any operating system it may be a
| bit much for the average user to get it setup
| and thats just fine if you ask me.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/12/is-linux-ready-for-average-user.html

Is Linux really that hard to use?