[News] A Look at the KDE Fork, KDE SC 4.5 Preview

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the KDE Fork, KDE SC 4.5 Preview
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:23:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Trinity Project Picks Up Where KDE 3.5.10 Left Off

,----[ Quote ]
| Hey, pst! Yes, you! I know you've been
| crying yourself to sleep at night ever
| since those mean, mean people developing
| the K Desktop Environment decided to
| radically change the way your favorite DE
| worked and release the dreaded "4"
| version. Good news! There's no more need
| to get over it and move on with your life,
| as, apparently, the God of open source
| decided to bring you a fork of KDE 3. Ok,
| maybe not God, but a company/team that
| goes under the name of Pearson Computing.
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2010/05/trinity-project-picks-up-where-kde-3510.html

Sneak preview for coming KDE SC 4.5

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE SC 4.5 is in feature freeze right now.
| Therefore, I decide to share some of early
| screenshots with you. In General there are
| no major changes. It is all about
| polishing and fixing bugs. There is a lot
| of under-hood changes in libs which as
| enduser we cannot see. KDE SC will be
| release in August 2010. Now I will let you
| enjoy the screenshots.
`----

http://linuxcrunch.com/content/sneak-preview-coming-kde-sc-45

Qt Multimedia/Mobility vs. Phonon: FIGHT!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Well it's not really like that, but I
| guess those involved can think about it a
| bit like that at times!. For some
| background, Phonon is a Multimedia
| framework that was included in Qt 4 as far
| as I understand it, it was developed
| outside Qt, but was adopted (please
| correct me if my history is incorrect
| here). It was designed to give application
| developers easy access to media playback
| systems, be it MP3 music or new fangled
| WebM video! Rather than implement any of
| the complex stuff itself, Phonon hands off
| the actual decoding and playback parts to
| existing media frameworks. Originally Qt
| wrote a GStreamer "backend" for Phonon and
| this was the only available backend on
| Linux in the early stages (others were
| available for other platforms too). I
| personally think that GStreamer was a good
| choice. I think it is a very powerful
| system, but it's not for the feint
| hearted. I wont begin to pretend that I
| understand it (although I have hacked my
| way through some GST code!), but the
| principle of it's operation seemed to fit
| the needs of the Phonon project very
| nicely.
`----

http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/05/qt-multimediamobility-vs-phonon-fight/

Clementine Music Player â Amarok for Windows and Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Now thereâs Clementine, a version of
| Amarok for Windows, Macintosh and Linux.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/softwares/clementine-music-player.html

Recent:

4.5 updates so far

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm not going to make a detailed post, just a
| screen-shot based overview of the new features
| you can expect in KDE 4.5.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/04/15/4-5-updates-so-far/

KDE 4.5 Release Schedule Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we finished the KDE 4.5 release
| schedule. The good news is that you can
| start organising your release party now,
| the expected date for KDE 4.5.0 is August
| 4th 2010.
`----

http://www.omat.nl/2010/04/12/kde-4-5-release-schedule-ready/

Five Improvements for KDE 4.5 (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, the KDE4 desktop is the most
| revolutionary piece of Linux software since
| the Linux kernel itself, and I appreciate how
| it strives to challenge old desktop paradigms
| and introduce new ones.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1447

Five Improvements for KDE 4.5 (Part 1)