[News] AbiWord Fills the Gap Where OpenOffice.org Proves Heavy

  • Subject: [News] AbiWord Fills the Gap Where OpenOffice.org Proves Heavy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:43:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

AbiWord: The Underappreciated Word Processor

,----[ Quote ]
| Network effects being what they are,
| OpenOffice.org tends to suck all the
| oxygen out of the room when talking about
| open source productivity applications. But
| OpenOffice.org isn't the only game in town
| for open source word processing. One of
| the best, if underexposed, open word
| processors is AbiWord.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7076/1/

Red Hat Denies Oracle as the Largest Open Source Company

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/redhat-oracle-open-source.html

O JavaFX, What Art Thou?

,----[ Quote ]
| Partly. As described in the section above
| on licensing, there is a portion of JavaFX
| that is open source, but significant
| portions are not. The openjfx site now
| forwards one to the JavaFX.com site.
|
| Again, I'm not the first to wonder about
| the degree of "open sourcedness" of
| JavaFX. Others have posted questions on
| this topic in posts such as JavaFX: Open
| source or not? and the JavaFX forum thread
| Is JavaFX open-source? I particularly like
| the latter (the forum thread) because it
| nicely covers the intricacies of making a
| product like JavaFX open source.
`----

http://www.javaworld.com/community/?q=node/4382

Recent:

OpenOffice.org Extensions: Are Two Repositories Better than One?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation announced an
| alternative OpenOffice.org extensions
| repository, which will list only
| extensions released under free software
| licenses.