[News] Australian Government Starts Talking About Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Australian Government Starts Talking About Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:58:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CeBIT 2010: AGIMO says open source needs to lift its game

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite a new level of openness through the
| recent adoption of eGovernment and web 2.0
| tools, the Australian Government Information
| Management Office (AGIMO) is still cagey when
| it comes to procurement of open source
| software.
|
| Commenting at CeBIT Australia 2010, John
| Sheridan, division manager at AGIMO's Agency
| Services Division hinted that open source
| suppliers would need to lift their levels of
| support if they were to make further inroads
| into the public sector.
|
| "Our policy on open source remains one of
| informed neutrality," he said. "Our view is,
| rather than preferring one particular sort of
| open source software to another, to make sure
| our software can be properly supported.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/347755/cebit_2010_agimo_says_open_source_needs_lift_its_game/

Recent:

BYO Linux router to the NBN

,----[ Quote ]
| They can both be part of the home router you
| connect to it, according to ISP iPrimus.
| Customers will be free to use whatever router
| they like, such as a Linux-based Tomato
| router (firmware that you install into a
| readily available router such as the Linksys
| WRT54G).
|
| There had been concerns among the enthusiast
| community that the government would mandate a
| particular router be used at customer
| premises so that the network could be
| administratively controlled remotely.
|
| However, customers will have complete freedom
| to use their own homebrew Linux routers to
| connect their premises to the National
| Broadband Network instead of using a standard
| router from the likes of Netcomm or Netgear,
| internet service provider Primus revealed
| last week.
`----

http://apcmag.com/byo-linux-router-to-the-nbn.htm

BYO Linux router to the NBN