[News] A Look at Search-based Distro Popularity, Sabayon 5.3 Imminent

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Search-based Distro Popularity, Sabayon 5.3 Imminent
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:30:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Measuring the popularity of distros â Part 2 Google Trends

,----[ Quote ]
| Here you can see that Linux Mint and
| PCLinuxOS do actually exist in Googleâs
| eyes, but not compared to Ubuntuâs search
| rankings. Still they only have a fraction of
| the googles of OpenSUSE, which only has a
| fraction of the googles of Ubuntu.
`----

http://thelinuxblog.net/linux/measuring-the-popularity-of-distros-part-2-google-trends/

Sabayon 5.3 Progress, Get Involved with Testing, Bumps

,----[ Quote ]
| It must be about time for an update, tough to
| blog when summer is here.  5.3 is in the works
| and is at a RC2 status.  Some of the changes
| include bug fixes of course, btrfs support,
| mono removed from grub and installer fixes.
| Keep in mind that btrfs is very young in
| development and should not be used in a stable
| environment.  I did try it out in a virtual box
| setting and it seemed to work good for the
| little bit of time I worked with it.  Mitch
| follows the progress of it and has been a good
| source for information.  It sounds like in
| kernel 2.6.36 things will even be better for
| btrfs.  Iâll have to try and keep an eye on it
| myself, seems promising.
`----

http://wgo.wolf911.us/?p=382

Recent:

Port the new distro-neutral initrd framework, Dracut, to Gentoo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.aidecoe.name/2010/05/24/port-the-new-distro-neutral-initrd-framework-dracut-to-gentoo/