[News] Free as in Speech Supported by Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Free as in Speech Supported by Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:22:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wiki As an Example to Demystify Cloud Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Cloud computing is supposed to save you
| money and make things easier for your
| business/organization. If a self-proclaimed
| cloud computing provider tries to sell you
| some expensive and fancy new technology that
| requires a lot of training on your
| employees, then be alerted that this may
| just be a hoax. Try partially replacing MS
| Word and Frontpage with wiki before buying
| any cloud solutions. Wiki is a minuscule,
| and yet most used form of cloud computing.
| It takes more cultural changes than monetary
| investment to introduce cloud computing into
| your organization/business. You can forget
| about cloud computing if your employees
| cannot get accustomed to this new culture of
| transparency, participation, and democracy.
`----

http://blog.ofset.org/ckhung/index.php?post/105d

Openness, transparency, and community: The future of commenting on the web

,----[ Quote ]
| But should that be the default for the
| entire web? Is complete openness always the
| best way? Are there valid reasons for
| completely closing comments (as a policy,
| not for specific posts) on a news site like
| NPR? What about the heavy policing implied
| in this comment? At the very least,
| shouldn't it be more transparent--visible
| comment deletions, and reasons given to
| banned users?
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/5/openness-transparency-and-community-future-commenting-web

What is "open source"? (And why should you care?)

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the term gets used quite a lot in
| technology circles, there is often some
| confusion about exactly what it means,
| particularly when it comes to questions of
| whether or not software that is "open
| source" is necessarily "free." In an oft-
| repeated saying, open source is free as in
| "free speech" not free as in "free beer." In
| other words, it is meant to be open and
| accessible, but that doesn't necessarily
| come without a price-tag.
|
| In other words, open source is a practice
| that opens up the source (in the case of
| technology, this is typically the source
| code) so that others beyond the original
| creators can develop, expand, and modify the
| code. Unlike proprietary systems in which
| you are forbidden to "open the hood" to
| tinker with the moving parts, open source
| allows anyone to download the code and then
| alter it without restriction or fear of
| punishment.
`----

http://www.justmeans.com/What-is-open-source-why-should-you-care/15675.html

Without Free software in the nodes, there would be more tyranny.

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html