[News] Why Forking/Succeeding KDE3 Unlikely to Work, KDE 4.5 in Focus With New Exciting Features

  • Subject: [News] Why Forking/Succeeding KDE3 Unlikely to Work, KDE 4.5 in Focus With New Exciting Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:09:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Trinity and the Challenges of Continuing KDE 3

,----[ Quote ]
| This morning, while having my usual Cafe
| Latte (albeit this time in Berlin instead
| of at home sweet home in Nijmegen), I read
| about the Trinity project, which is an
| effort to revive KDE 3. I think this
| project nicely shows the advantages of Free
| Software. While the vast majority of KDE
| contributors agrees that KDE 3 is a dead
| end, technologically, these two guys
| (according to the somewhat sparse
| information on the website) are trying to
| continue to support and feature development
| on KDE3. Now I see a couple of real
| challenges for this project:
|
|     * Maintainance â KDE 3 is a large
|     codebase. You need a good amount of
|     people with domain knowledge of many
|     different areas to effectively maintain
|     a project like KDE. I see some of the
|     first roadmap tasks for Trinity are
|     updating the build system to deal with
|     all the updated developer tools (e.g.
|     newer autotools versions).
`----

http://vizzzion.org/blog/2010/05/trinity-and-the-challenges-of-continuing-kde-3/

Lancelot and KMail in 4.5

,----[ Quote ]
| Every once in a while I write a post
| related to relations between lancelot and
| kmail or kopete.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/05/28/lancelot-and-kmail-in-4-5/

Panel icon sizes in KDE SC 4.5

,----[ Quote ]
| There were a lot of complaints when we
| decided to limit the size of icons placed
| on panels in plasma to 32Ã32 pixels.
|
| The reasoning behind limiting the size were
| requests from users who use vertical panels
| â vertical panels are usually made wider
| then standard panels, and icons would grow
| to 300Ã300 pixels taking up most of the
| space on the panel.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/05/28/panel-icon-sizes-in-kdesc-4-5/

New In KDE Partition Manager 1.1 (I): Mount Management

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most requested features after
| KDE Partition Managerâs initial release has
| been that users asked for a way to modify
| mount points from within the application.
| This came as a bit of a surprise to me
| because I would not have seen this feature
| to be in the immediate scope of a partition
| managing application. But, the user is king
| after all, and thus this will indeed be
| possible in KDE Partition Manager 1.1.
`----

http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/28/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-i-mount-management/

Recent:

4.5 updates so far

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm not going to make a detailed post, just a
| screen-shot based overview of the new features
| you can expect in KDE 4.5.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/04/15/4-5-updates-so-far/

KDE 4.5 Release Schedule Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we finished the KDE 4.5 release
| schedule. The good news is that you can
| start organising your release party now,
| the expected date for KDE 4.5.0 is August
| 4th 2010.
`----

http://www.omat.nl/2010/04/12/kde-4-5-release-schedule-ready/

Five Improvements for KDE 4.5 (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, the KDE4 desktop is the most
| revolutionary piece of Linux software since
| the Linux kernel itself, and I appreciate how
| it strives to challenge old desktop paradigms
| and introduce new ones.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1447

Five Improvements for KDE 4.5 (Part 1)