[News] [Rival] XBMC Dumps Microsoft Xbox

XBMC drops support for XBOX

,----[ Quote ]
| The XBMC developers have announced that
| they are dropping support for XBOX
| consoles. Although the popular open source
| media centre started as a program for
| modified XBOX consoles, the developers say
| that the "XBOX has hard limits for what it
| can handle" and that "it is a popular
| misconception that official XBOX
| development is still taking place by the
| team".
|
| [...]
|
| XBMC has been forked into a number of other
| programs, including, for example, Boxee and
| Plex. The latest release of XBMC is version
| 9.11 from the end of December, 2009. XBMC
| is released under the GNU General Public
| License (GPL).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/XBMC-drops-support-for-XBOX-1010421.html

Farewell XBOX

,----[ Quote ]
| XBMC (XBMP really) started as a program for
| modified XBOX consoles. In the following
| years, XBMC has grown into a multi-platform,
| multi-architecture media center that runs on
| most standard hardware. The hardware and legal
| limitations of the XBOX were always a concern
| and the Team has instead focused on running on
| the hardware that most people already have.
|
| The last official release for the XBOX by the
| XBMC team was Atlantis, over 18 months ago.
| Since then, one brave soul (Arnova) has been
| merging code from the main codebase into the
| XBOX branch in our repository. Because there
| were many users out there that took advantage
| of these updates, we had no problem with this.
`----

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/05/27/farewell-xbox/

Recent:

Microsoft Cuts XBOX Live From Original XBOX Console

http://erictric.com/2010/04/14/microsoft-cuts-xbox-live-from-original-xbox-console/

Microsoft To Pull The Plug On Xbox Live For The Original Xbox Tonight

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/microsoft_to_pull_the_plug_on_xbox_live_for_the_original_xbox_tonight.html