Re: Android Outselling Apple iPhone In OZ

____/ SomeBloke on Sunday 30 May 2010 10:36 : \____

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 08:47:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ AZ Nomad on Friday 28 May 2010 21:50 : \____

>>> I was refering to the period between about 2004 and 2008 where except
>>> for perhaps a 5-10% market share still held by palm, microsoft mobile
>>> ruled the smartphone market, entirely on name recognition and monopoly
>>> power.  Everybody hated them and kept hoping that someday microsoft
>>> would get their act together and release a version that didn't crash
>>> constantly, or heat up a phone to handwarmer temperatures trying to
>>> compute its way through the muck.  It never happend and when apple
>>> released its lipstick on a pig version of what was similar to the
>>> single tasking palmos, it was all over for microsoft.  People didn't
>>> give a shit if it could run microsoft office, or even it it could
>>> multitask.  Having a device that was actually useful was what was
>>> important.

>>> Microsoft's brilliant decision?  disable multitasking.   I wouldn't be
>>> surprised if microsoft had teams of hundreds of people trying to pick a
>>> kind of fruit to become their new logo in order to compete against
>>> apple.
>>> Meanwhile, apple is finally going to release a phone that can
>>> multitask.
>>
>> Can their customers handle this complexity?

They have three types: bright, artsy, and affluent.

The first group is the hip developer, the second is one that pays for
something unusual and fashionable, the third just shops in places
like Gucci and assumes that "more expensive"=better.

Apple found a profitable niche, but it's still a minority in Western nations.

âStrive not to be a man of success, but rather strive to be a man of value.â
                              --Albert Einstein