[News] 21,676,499+ Users of Fedora, Linux Highly Popular in Brazil

  • Subject: [News] 21,676,499+ Users of Fedora, Linux Highly Popular in Brazil
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:56:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Making free pay

,----[ Quote ]
| In several ways, Red Hat already plays the
| free game well. Out of Fedora's 21,676,499+
| users, if only a 1/100 of a percent ever
| contribute any content that lands in Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux, it is a win for Red
| Hat. It also behooves Red Hat to pay
| attention to CentOS's rpm repositories when
| rolling up the latest updates. As far as I
| know, Red Hat pays nothing to the CentOS
| project yet Red Hat can use CentOS as a
| product development source.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/05/25/making-free-pay/

The Big Question

,----[ Quote ]
| Rob Pregoraro at the Washington Post asks
| the question, âHow can an operating system
| with those virtues, the open-source Linux,
| remain confined to a tiny minority of
| desktop and laptop computers at home? â.
| Heâs missed the mark. GNU/Linux is not
| confined to a tiny minority of computers at
| home. It may be in the USA but globally,
| GNU/Linux is on about 10% of PCs. We know
| that because Ballmer told us and that was a
| while ago. 30% of netbooks run GNU/Linux
| and almost all ARMed devices do not run
| that other OS.You can buy âno OSâ and
| GNU/Linux PCs from most OEMs and some
| retail outfits.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/05/31/the-big-question/

Firebird download statistics : Top Country : #Brazil , Top OS: #Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The new download stats interface from
| sourceforge.net geeknet shows what are the
| countries from where firebird is most
| downloaded and what operating system is
| used to download it and the most unexpected
| thing is that Linux is in the Top
`----

http://www.firebirdnews.org/?p=4455

Recent:

55,000 French Students to Receive OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Schools (UK) has a discussion thread on the recent announcement
| that 55,000 laptops pre-installed with OpenOffice.org will be distributed to
| students in Oise, just north of Paris.
`----

http://www.solidoffice.com/archives/977

OpenOffice.org being distributed to Portuguese schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/openoffice_org_being_distributed_to