[News] New Coverage and Reviews of MeeGo/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Coverage and Reviews of MeeGo/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:28:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The 5-minute guide to the MeeGo mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In the history of stupid names for Linux
| software, MeeGo tops them all. But what is
| it exactly?
|
| That's not a very nice thing to say! But
| yes, MeeGo is an unusual name. OK, it's
| stupid.
|
| It's a new project that brings together
| Moblin, a name that you wouldn't call
| great, but neither was it embarrassing, and
| Maemo, a name that kept making people
| disagree over whether it was pronounced
| Maymo, Maimo or Meemo. Cunningly, MeeGo
| tops them both in the silly name stakes.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/the-5-minute-guide-to-the-meego-mobile-os-692456

MeeGo OS â A (Faster) Alternative to Windows on Your Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs may disagree but I think
| netbooks are fantastic. Theyâre more
| functional than a phone and more portable
| than a laptop, and feature a full keyboard
| to boot.
|
| Netbooks are capable of running regular
| operating systems, but Iâve recommended
| time and time again that users find a
| netbook-centric operating system to get the
| most they can out of their systems.
|
| [...]
|
| Well, MeeGo 1.0 is now available for
| download, and while the merger has slowed
| development a little, I must say Iâm
| impressed with this operating system
| (although Iâm still not sure itâs ready for
| prime time.)
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/meego-os-a-faster-alternative-to-windows-on-your-netbook/

MeeGo for Netbooks released -- and it's fast

,----[ Quote ]
| The Intel- and Nokia-backed MeeGo project
| released version 1.0 of an open source
| operating system optimized for Intel Atom-
| based netbooks. MeeGo v1.0 for Netbooks --
| which we found to be speedy -- comprises
| Google's Chrome browser, Nokia's Qt 4.6,
| plus a variety of other tools, and will be
| followed next month by a handset version,
| says the project.
|
| [...]
|
| Liliputing's Brad Linder also tried MeeGo
| Netbook and found the operating system to
| be "really, really fast." The OS will run
| even faster when it is installed on a hard
| drive rather than a USB stick, he added.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/MeeGo-v10-for-Netbooks-/?kc=rss

MeeGo Linux 1.0 released for netbooks â Video

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/05/meego-linux-1-0-released-for-netbooks-video.html

Recent:

Intel and Nokia release MeeGo v1.0

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Intel-and-Nokia-release-MeeGo-v1-0-1008900.html

Meego releases a netbook edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Meego is facing stiff competition from
| Google's Android and Chrome operating
| systems, Canonical's Ubuntu Netbook Remix
| and Microsoft's Windows 7 Starter Edition.
| Like Canonical's and Google's products,
| Meego is based on the open source Linux
| kernel.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1650760/meego-releases-netbook-edition

Hands-on: MeeGo for netbooks picks up where Moblin left off

,----[ Quote ]
| Moblin 2 had its own custom Web browser
| that brought together a unique Clutter-
| based user interface and Mozilla's Gecko
| HTML rendering engine. It was a very
| compelling idea because it opened the door
| to a browsing experience with rich visual
| affects and more fluid platform
| integration. Although the concept is
| intriguing in theory, it was very difficult
| for Intel to execute on. The custom browser
| was incomplete and somewhat dysfunctional
| when we reviewed Moblin last year. Intel
| has ditched the custom browser and chose to
| adopt Google Chrome for MeeGo.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/hands-on-meego-for-netbooks-picks-up-where-moblin-left-off.ars

Nokia, Opera side with Adobe on Flash