[News] Alternative Social Network Like Facebook is Still Built the Free Software Way

  • Subject: [News] Alternative Social Network Like Facebook is Still Built the Free Software Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:46:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Will an open-source alternative to Facebook actually work?

,----[ Quote ]
| The anti-Facebook movement has created a
| level of interest in open-source solutions
| to the privacy issue where virtually none
| has existed before.
|
| After I wrote about the Diaspora project a
| few weeks ago, I was contacted by Michael
| Chisari of the Appleseed Project, which is
| basically the same thing and predates
| Diaspora by several years. Reason virtually
| no one had heard of it was because Chisari
| had spent months developing the entire
| project himself and had to put it on hold
| because he, well, reached the point where
| he couldn't finish it alone with no one
| really interested in it.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/61884

Mark Zuckerberg: I Donated to Open Source, Facebook Competitor

,----[ Quote ]
| You might expect that Facebook founder and
| CEO Mark Zuckerberg would dismiss the four
| NYU college students who want to take on
| Facebookâs dominance of social networking
| by building a distributed, open alternative
| that includes a way for people to run their
| own servers.
|
| But instead, Zuckerberg said he donated to
| the Diaspora project, adding to the
| $190,000 it has raised, in part because he
| appreciates their drive to change the
| world.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/zuckerberg-interview/

Recent:

Facebook Censorship; Won't Allow Ubuntu Torrent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/1132/facebook-dictatorship-wont-allow-ubuntu-torrent