[News] New Events Covering Free Software Planned and Announced

  • Subject: [News] New Events Covering Free Software Planned and Announced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:30:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Small and Fast Wins

,----[ Quote ]
| Ghana is one of those âemerging economiesâ
| that I sometimes discuss, with people
| trying desperately to get ahead and
| utilizing Free Software to get there.
|
| Ghana has more problems than just trying to
| decide whether they should use Free
| Software. The Internet backbone to their
| country (and surrounding countries) is
| inadequate for the number of people it
| serves, and the prices for the Internet is
| pretty daunting, so downloading a copy of
| any of the distributions is both expensive
| and slow.
|
| Fortunately I was able to get my friends at
| Red Hat to sponsor about 500 Fedora CDs for
| the conference and some university training
| that I did after the conference. That was
| the good news.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Small-and-Fast-Wins

Libre Graphics Meeting 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Already the fifth edition, Libre Graphics
| Meeting continues to grow and to become
| more relevant. The meeting was held in
| Brussels this year, in a great venue: De
| Pianofabriek. Exactly the right size, cosy,
| comfortable, engaging and located in a
| lively neighbourhood. While LGM was going
| on, parts of this cultural centre were used
| by kung-fu, folk dancing and classical
| music classes. There was some good eco beer
| to be had in the canteen as well.
`----

http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi/2010/05/30#lgm2010

Software Freedom Day Melbourne 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Day is an event held all
| over the world to celebrate and raise
| awareness of free software and open source
| software. Software Freedom Day Melbourne is
| on Saturday 18 September 2010, 10amâ4pm at
| the State Library of Victoria.
`----

http://softwarefreedomday.org/melb

Webinar on VC funding for OSS-related vendors

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/05/26/webinar-on-vc-funding-for-oss-related-vendors/