[News] Microsoft's Fake 'SMB' Front Group (Association of Competitive Technologies) is Lobbying for Software Patents in Europe

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Fake 'SMB' Front Group (Association of Competitive Technologies) is Lobbying for Software Patents in Europe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:25:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU plays catch-up with US digital economy

,----[ Quote ]
| The cost of a European patent is almost five
| times that in the US and three times the cost
| in Japan, according to figures from a study
| by the Association of Competitive
| Technologies.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-plays-catch-us-digital-economy-news-494724

Banksters Create New Fake "Consumer" Group

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a story in the Washington Post
| by Mike Konczal, the Big Banks have just
| created an astroturf or cashroots group
| called the "Consumers Against Retail
| Discrimination Alliance" to fight a provision
| of the financial reform bill: This nominal
| "consumers" group is constituted of really,
| really big "consumers," according to Konczal,
| including "Visa, MasterCard, Bank of America,
| JP Morgan Chase, U.S. Bank, Citi" and almost
| every banking association that is part of the
| more accurately named "Electronic Payments
| Coalition." They have attempted to label this
| a corporate "civil rights" issue by talking
| about "discrimination" -- or "retail
| discrimination," that is.
`----

http://www.prwatch.org/node/9089

Related:

What Shall We Do About Software Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACT seems to think that the patent system works so well in the US, that
| Europe absolutely must ditch its own quaintly fragmented approach, and adopt
| a nicely unified one closer to the Stateside model.
|
| Pity, then, that books like Patent Failure provide hundreds of pages of
| incontrovertible evidence that the patent system there actually costs more
| money â in terms of litigation â than it generates for patent holders, with
| the possible exception of the pharmaceutical industry (and we all know what
| paragons they are, especially in their licensing terms to developing
| countries.)
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1632

MS struggles to discredit Linux