[News] [Rival] Microsoft Named for Abuse of Environment and Workers' Rights (Again)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Named for Abuse of Environment and Workers' Rights (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:27:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Greenpeace slams Nintendo and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Environmental campaigning charity
| Greenpeace has taken a swipe at Nintendo,
| Microsoft and Toshiba, as it named the best
| - and worst - in green IT.
|
| Nokia and Sony Ericsson received the
| highest praise in the Guide to Greener
| Electronics, published today.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/5/26/greenpeace-slams-nintendo-and-microsoft/

Nintendo bad for environment, Microsoft and Sony not much better

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/05/27/nintendo-bad-for-environment-microsoft-and-sony-not-much-better/

Dear Apple, Nintendo, Sony And Microsoft,

,----[ Quote ]
| The recent rash of suicides at Foxconnâs
| Shenzhen factory has shined a light on the
| fact that large companies like Apple,
| Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have
| contracted out the manufacturing for
| devices like the iPad, the Wii, the PS3 and
| the Xbox 360 to Chinese factories. In what
| now seems like a daily occurrence, jumpers
| at the Foxconn Shenzhen factory continue
| and now have reached 15.
`----

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/05/dear-apple-nintendo-sony-and-microsoft/

Microsoft mentioned here:

Deaths of Tech Factory Workers in China Reflect Poor Labor Conditions

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Management/Deaths-of-Tech-Factory-Workers-in-China-Reflect-Poor-Labor-Conditions-412212/

Foxconn Makes Employees Promise Not to Kill Themselves

,----[ Quote ]
| A thirteenth employee jumped/fell from a
| high roof or ledge at Foxconn's Shenzhen
| factory in rural China.  The young woman
| reportedly survived and Foxconn is
| disputing reports that she meant to take
| her life.
|
| The factory in Shenzhen assembles Apple's
| the majority of Apple's iPads, iPhones, and
| iPods â it also produces products for HP
| and Dell among other manufacturers.  After
| a string of suicides, Apple has become
| alarmed and has pressured Foxconn to seek
| solutions to stop the deaths.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Foxconn+Makes+Employees+Promise+Not+to+Kill+Themselves/article18526.htm

Foxconn Plans Safety Nets, May Raise Pay After 12th Suicide

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197312/foxconn_plans_safety_nets_may_raise_pay_after_12th_suicide.html?tk=rss_news

Foxconn website defaced after iPhone assembly plant suicides

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine of the workers at a Shenzen plant
| where iPhones and other hi-tech kit is
| assembled have killed themselves this year,
| with a further two unsuccessful suicide
| attempts. In a satirical response,
| Foxconn's human resources site was hacked
| with a spoof 'We're Hiring' notice. A
| translation of the Chinese-language
| defacement by Shanghaiist reads:
|
|     Foxconn -- We're Hiring
|
|     Are you feeling down today? Do you feel
|     like not living anymore? Do you want to
|     know what it feels like to jump down
|     from China's model suicide jumping
|     facility? Foxconn provides you the
|     perfect environment to jump.
|
|     All the many reasons to jump here have
|     ensured at least one jump per week.
|
|     Comprehensive press coverage
|     guaranteed. to ensure your name travels
|     ten thousand miles.
|
|     What are you waiting for? Pick up your
|     phone now and join Foxconn.
|
|     Be the kickass twelfth jumper.
|
|     You can do it.
|
|     Hiring hotline: 514514514
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/26/foxconn_defacement_suicide_protest/

Recent:

Greenpeace: Nintendo and Microsoft are worst eco-offenders

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenpeace awarded Nintendo a paltry score of 0.8 out of a possible 10, with
| American software titan Microsoft following close behind with a mere 2.15 out
| of 10.
`----

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200826/1343/Greenpeace-Nintendo-and-Microsoft-are-worst-eco-offenders

Greenpeace Slams Microsoft, Nintendo

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenpeace gave Microsoft and Nintendo abysmal rankings Tuesday on their
| efforts to phase out toxic chemicals from their game consoles.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iMTouo0ymHoVxuplHfS70u-BJEPQD8T671N80

Related:

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]