[News] [Rival] Windows XP SP2 Retiring, Internet Explorer Losing, and New Security Problems Ignored

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows XP SP2 Retiring, Internet Explorer Losing, and New Security Problems Ignored
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:31:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Windows XP SP2 retirement looms, puts users in tough spot

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/348312/windows_xp_sp2_retirement_looms_puts_users_tough_spot?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Why Internet Explorer keeps losing users

http://www.infoworld.com/t/browsers/why-internet-explorer-keeps-losing-users-753

Microsoft smacks patch-blocking rootkit second time

,----[ Quote ]
| For the second month in a row, Microsoft
| has tried to eradicate a mutating rootkit
| that has blocked some Windows users from
| installing security updates.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177223/Microsoft_smacks_patch_blocking_rootkit_second_time

Sneaky browser 'tabnapping' phishing tactic surfaces

,----[ Quote ]
| Jerry Bryant, a group manager with the
| Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC),
| said his team is looking into Raskin's
| claims, but hinted that Microsoft wouldn't
| be patching IE anytime soon. "I wouldn't
| classify this as a 'vulnerability' though,"
| Bryant said in an e-mail answer to
| questions.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177326/Sneaky_browser_tabnapping_phishing_tactic_surfaces

Sneaky browser 'tabnapping' phishing tactic surfaces

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS77040914020100525

How to foil Web browser 'tabnapping'

,----[ Quote ]
| Will browser makers patch this? Unlikely.
| Microsoft's Jerry Bryant, a general manager
| at the company's security response center,
| said the issue isn't a security
| vulnerability per se, and that Internet
| Explorer (IE) falls for the scam because
| that's the way browsers work.
|
| "Working with [Raskin's] proof-of-concept,
| as written, is expected," he said in an e-
| mail Tuesday when asked whether Microsoft
| had a fix in mind for IE.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177398/How_to_foil_Web_browser_tabnapping_

Denver enlists posse to try to corral website hacker

,----[ Quote ]
| Denver officials have asked the FBI, Denver
| police and Microsoft Corp. to help them
| identify the person or people who have
| hacked into the city's website twice in the
| past week.
`----

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15161877

Recent:

One-third of Security Essentials users infected: Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28745/53/