[News] [Rival] MSBBC Goes Back to Convicted Monopolist Microsoft, Netflix Spreads Its DRM (Also Ex-Microsoft Staff Intersections)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] MSBBC Goes Back to Convicted Monopolist Microsoft, Netflix Spreads Its DRM (Also Ex-Microsoft Staff Intersections)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:09:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

BBC And Microsoft Team Up For A New Video On-Demand Service: iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC has announced that it has struck a
| deal with Microsoft and has launched the
| beta version of a new video on demand
| service: iPlayer.
`----

http://www.blogsdna.com/10542/bbc-and-microsoft-team-up-for-a-new-video-on-demand-service-iplayer.htm

Netflix Spreads DRM Evil With Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Netflix has selected Microsoft PlayReady
| technology and the Protected Interoperable
| File Format (PIFF) for use in new Netflix
| ready devices and applications.
`----

http://www.muktware.com/blog/25/2010/141

Netflix chooses Microsoft PlayReady and PIFF format

http://www.hd-report.com/2010/05/25/netflix-chooses-microsoft-playready-and-piff-format/

Netflix goes with Microsoft PlayReady DRM for upcoming streaming devices

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/25/netflix-goes-with-microsoft-playready-drm-for-upcoming-streaming-devices/

Netflix standardizes on PlayReady

http://www.cedmagazine.com/News-Broadband-Briefs-052610.aspx

Netflix Selects New Microsoft DRM

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/netflix/netflix-selects-new-microsoft-drm-19505

Netflix Rides Stream to Microsoft

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2010/05/25/netflix-to-use-microsoft-playready-technology-to-open-up-streaming

Netflix Falls Despite Microsoft Tie-Up for Internet Viewing

http://www.onn.tv/news-feed/midnight-trader/netflix-falls-despite-microsoft-tie-up-for-internet-viewing/

Netflix Taps Microsoft PlayReady as Its Primary DRM Technology for Netflix Ready Devices and Applications

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/netflix-taps-microsoft-playready-as-its-primary-drm-technology-for-netflix-ready-devices-and-applications-94818329.html

Recent:

Official Statement Objecting BBC/OFCOM Proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation, on behalf of its
| members, would like to register its
| serious objections to the current
| BBC/OFCOM proposal, which would impose
| content management controls on new free-
| to-air high definition channels. The plan,
| which involves restrictively licensing the
| Huffman codes used in the electronic
| programme guide, would have a negative
| effect on open source applications and
| would distort the markets which have built
| up around those applications.
|
| The treatment of Open Source in the BBC
| document is incorrect and ignores the
| severe market distortions that this
| content management scheme would produce in
| open platforms. The use of Open Source
| within the market segments that would be
| affected by the BBC proposal can be
| divided into two business models:
| Proprietary but built on Open Source and
| fully open platforms. The HD Freesat
| system the BBC used to characterise Open
| Source falls into the Proprietary but open
| category; no analysis at all was attempted
| of the fully open category. The failure to
| look at fully open platforms leads to an
| important segment of the market being
| ignored.
`----

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/content/official-statement-objecting-bbcofcom-proposal

An Open Letter to Ofcom on the BBC HD DRM Proposals

,----[ Quote ]
| ...teach and conduct research at the Open
| University, which since its inception has
| used broadcast and multimedia technologies
| in education, we are writing to express
| our objections to the proposal to allow
| the BBC to add a Digital Rights Management
| (DRM) flag to its high definition (HD)
| output.
`----

http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloud/view/3199

Last Chance to Save BBC from DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| This leading question (and they are all
| phrased thus) pretty much indicates that
| Ofcom has made up its mind about the
| issue, and is simply going through the
| motions of consultation. Note, too, the
| euphemism âcopy managementâ, when what we
| are talking about here is DRM, plain and
| simple: even Ofcom is aware that trying to
| espouse the benefits of DRM is a lost
| cause.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2884&blogid=14

How do you want to watch HD TV in the future? It's time to tell Ofcom

,----[ Quote ]
| If you run open source capture/viewing
| software, such as MythTV, things get a
| little trickier. The developers of MythTV
| can't sign an agreement with the BBC in
| order to obtain the decoding tables,
| because part of the terms of the agreement
| are that the decoding tables aren't given
| out to anybody else. This is fundamentally
| opposed to the open source nature of the
| project, so simply won't happen.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/01/bbc-hd-consultation-hdmi

DRMs in the draft Copyright Amendments

,----[ Quote ]
| India has been under a lot of pressure
| from the US, due to the Special 301 report
| which US puts out annually, to amend and
| enforce its copyright laws to a standard
| closer to what the US would want; usually
| standards which the US has succeeded in
| pushing through in WIPO treaties.
| Therefore, essentially, it is the same
| lobby which pushes for stricter laws in US
| as it is in India. (Incidentally, I
| recently wrote a post on Hollywood tying
| up with Bollywood to check piracy in
| India). To further add to this, even as
| their effect in US has come under severe
| criticism; for them to be the lobbying
| party in India without due regard for the
| local context, economy and culture seems
| absurd. For a developing country like
| India, which even other developing
| countries look up to, it is important to
| get their copyright law correct, since the
| alternative is that instead of
| incentivizing and aiding creation and
| creative works, it is creating unnecessary
| barriers to access to creative works
| (especially considering that there is a
| big emphasis in Indian culture to adapt
| and improvise on works already in the
| public domain).
`----

http://spicyipindia.blogspot.com/2010/03/drms-in-draft-copyright-amendments.html

BBC Activates DRM For Its iPlayer Content

,----[ Quote ]
| "The BBC has quietly added DRM to its
| iPlayer content. This breaks support for
| things like the XBMC plugin as well as
| other non-approved third-party players. The
| get-iplayer download page has a good
| summary of what happened, including links
| to The Reg articles and the BBC's response
| to users' complaints."
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/03/28/192246/BBC-Activates-DRM-For-Its-iPlayer-Content

Stop BBC âDigital Rights Managementâ from disabling your HD TV

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC want an offshore consortium of
| entertainment companies called the "Digital
| Transmission Licensing Administrator" to
| decide how your high definition TV and
| video can work.
|
| The American courts rejected these
| draconian restrictions, so the DTLA has
| chosen to pick on British TV viewers
| instead.
`---

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/campaigns/stop-bbc-drm

OSI Opposes Barriers To Open Source Software For Television

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Initiative Board has added
| OSI to the list of organizations asking
| that the BBC not be allowed to add digital
| restriction measures to digital broadcasts
| in the United Kingdom. The BBC's request to
| do so is being reviewed by the UK
| regulator, OfCOM, and OSI is supporting the
| position statement from the UK's Open
| Rights Group and encouraging others to do
| likewise.
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/513

EA's Own Employees Annoyed At Pointless DRM Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| However, now it appears that it's even
| pissing off EA employees. Slashdot points
| out that the editor of EA.com got really
| frustrated over the game kicking him out
| because his DSL was flakey:
|
|     "Booted twice -- and progress lost --
|     on my single-player C&C4 game because
|     my DSL connection blinked. DRM fail. We