[News] Reminder That GNU Preceded and Enabled Linux; Sloganeering in Linux/Unix

  • Subject: [News] Reminder That GNU Preceded and Enabled Linux; Sloganeering in Linux/Unix
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:32:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Evolution of GNU, Linux System â Must Read For Newbies

,----[ Quote ]
| I would like to introduce you to a chronology
| of events that occurred in the early 80âs and
| 90âs.
|
| For Richard Stallman things began to look bad
| with the collapse of the free community in
| the Artificial Intelligence Lab at MIT in the
| â80s, with modern systems of operating time,
| none of them free software came with an
| agreement confidentiality, he said, is not
| allowed to share or modify the software and
| if you want something changed, ask us to do
| it for you.
|
| This sounded anti-social to software-sharing
| community that had existed for many years at
| MIT, which he enjoyed and agreed to share
| their programs with universities and
| businesses. And to see or to change the
| source code of an unknown program to create a
| new was fairly common.
`----

http://indomandriva.co.cc/evolution-of-gnu-linux-system-must-read-for-newbies/

Sloganeering in Linux/Unix - what does it say, what does it mean?

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2010/05/sloganeering-in-linuxunix---wh.html

Ode to Summer, Fixer-Uppers and $10 for Courage

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ode-to-Summer-Fixer-Uppers-and-10-for-Courage-70103.html?wlc=1275480612

Recent:

Linux is not an operating system, or is it?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-is-not-an-operating-system-or-is-it-37890