Re: I noticed a very interesting thing shopping at a Megamart yesterday

____/ James Westwood on Tuesday 01 Jun 2010 21:29 : \____

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:42:04 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> wrote:

>> ____/ Homer on Sunday 30 May 2010 11:54 : \____

>>> It's the "absolute power" maxim in action.
>>
>> Nero could do what Skype does and gradually open up some parts. It's better
>> than all proprietary and they still keep competitive.
>>
>> If Nero goes under like Netscape, then it might release all the source code
>> anyway (in case someone cares... see Xara).
>
> The problem with Nero, especially the Windows version,
> is that it has become ultra bloated. It's like the
> Symantec of the CD/DVD writing software.
>
> It's gotten so bad that if you look hard enough you can
> find illegal versions called Portable Nero which people
> have taken the time to strip all the bloat out of and
> which do basic CD/DVD burning and install in a single
> directory instead of poisoning the registry.
>
> That's pretty sad IMHO.
> I can't see Nero making money with Linux versions,
> although I applaud them for at least trying and maybe I
> am completely wrong here.
> K3b and Brassero work really well for me but I suppose
> the Nero name has some value to people. As Linux users
> we should support Nero/Ahead Software so that other
> companies follow suit.

Microsoft Office (down 6% in the last quarter) has the same issue. Companies
must do a lot to justify the price tag and they keep making their software
more bloated, even in ways that don't improve productivity, sometimes
impeding instead (e.g. Ribbon).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

POSIX is just an abbreviation (or acronym) for Piece Of Sh*t *ix.
- -- Mike Andrews
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 19:00:01 up 34 days,  9:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.74, 1.03, 1.19