[News] GNU/Linux Runs on 94.6% of World's Top Servers

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Runs on 94.6% of World's Top Servers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:44:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Worldâs Fastest Computers use Intel chips with Linux OS â not Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Try as I might I could find no evidence that
| any of them run Windows Vista. In fact, not
| many of the worldâs fastest 500
| supercomputers run anything other than Linux.
| 473 of the fastest 500 Supercomputers in the
| world run Linux. That is 94.6%.
`----

http://thebln.com/2010/05/the-worlds-fastest-computers-use-intel-chips-with-linux-os-not-vista/

Nearly every supercomputer runs Linux

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/39471-nearly-every-supercomputer-runs-linux

The biggest and best run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| South Africa's Tsessebe supercomputer, based at
| the Centre for High Performance Computing in
| Cape Town, was listed at position 461.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12773-The-biggest-and-best-run-Linux.html

Recent:

Super Computers â All You Probably Didnât Want To Know

,----[ Quote ]
| For anyone who wants to look at the raw
| data, itâs available at the Top 500 site.
| Just think, out of the 500 fastest
| computers on the planet, Linux is used on
| 455 of them, over 90%, Microsoft Windows is
| used on 5 of them, exactly 1.0%, and Mac
| OSX isnât used at all.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/2010/05/31/super-computers-all-you-probably-didnt-want-to-know/

China aims to become supercomputer superpower

,----[ Quote ]
| One petaflop is the equivalent of 1,000
| trillion calculations per second.

Cray-1 resurfaces in pieces on eBay

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/24/cray_1_gate_module_ebay/

Nearly every supercomputer runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Announced earlier today, the 35th list of
| the top 500 supercomputers contains few
| surprises, just that Linux has almost total
| domination of the list.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/39471-nearly-every-supercomputer-runs-linux

GNU/Linux Tops TOP500 Supercomputers Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that GNU/Linux totally dominates the top 500 supercomputing list is
| hardly news, but the fact that it has managed to *increase* its market share
| yet further is.
|
| Here are the results for June 2009:
|

|     GNU/Linux 443 (88.6%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 22 (4.4%)
|

| and here are the figures for six months ago:
|

|     GNU/Linux 439 (87.8%)
|     Windows 5 (1.0%)
|     Unix 23 (4.6%)
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/06/gnulinux-tops-top500-supercomputer.html

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest list indicates growing Linux dominance. Linux is used in the top
| nine supercomputer systems in the world. When considered as the primary OS or
| part of a mixed-OS supersystem, Linux is now present in 469 of the
| supercomputer sites, 93.8% of the Top500 list.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/11/25/linux-shows-staying-power-on-top500/

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-is-linux-the-fastest-operating-system-today-28534