[News] New Application Releases and Links for GNU/Linux Applications

  • Subject: [News] New Application Releases and Links for GNU/Linux Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:03:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pidgin 2.7.1 enables Faster File Transfers to MSN and aMSN

,----[ Quote ]
| Free chat client Pidgin version 2.7.1 has
| just been released with many improvements and
| fixes pushed to Bonjour, ICQ, XMPP and MXit
| protocols. The major gainer is the MSN
| protocol that gets support for direct
| connections, with faster file transfers to
| aMSN and the official MSN client. I havenât
| tested the file transfer speed but from the
| screenshot posted at Quantum Logic (a Pidgin
| developerâs blog) and re-posted here above,
| file transfer in Pidgin is now pretty fast.
| Buddy icon and custom emoticon also load
| faster.
`----

http://www.kabatology.com/06/02/pidgin-2-7-1-enables-faster-file-transfers-to-msn-and-amsn/

25 Best Free Linux Graphics Softwares For Designers & Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is a very strong platform for budding
| artists, photographers, animators, and
| designers. With inexpensive hardware, free
| software, and a modicum of talent and
| inspiration, anyone can create professional-
| looking computer graphics.
`----

http://en.digitalkamera.com/25-best-free-linux-graphics-softwares-for-designers-developers/

GnomeBaker's Recipe for Cooking Up Discs

,----[ Quote ]
| Brasero may be the resident disc-burn app on
| a lot of Linux distros, but GnomeBaker is by
| no means a second-tier option. The
| application puts its own twist on many of the
| same functions Brasero takes care of, and
| some users may find it flat-out easier to
| use. For instance, GnomeBaker features a
| tabbed interface that lets you keep track of
| multiple screens at once.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/70111.html

Pino: Lightweight Microblogging Client

,----[ Quote ]
| If your microblogging activities are limited
| to the Identi.ca and Twitter services,
| Gwibber might be overkill for your needs. In
| that case, Pino is exactly what you need.
| This microblogging client is lightning fast,
| and it's not overloaded with features you
| might never use. But it does support multiple
| accounts, URL shortening, notifications, and
| even spell checking.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Pino-Lightweight-Microblogging-Client

DockBarX Adds live thumbnail previews

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/how-get-windows-7-taskbar-thumbnails.html

uTorrent Is Finally Coming To Linux!

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/utorrent-is-finally-coming-to-linux.html

Using Freemind as a Writing Planner

,----[ Quote ]
| Freemind, the open source Java based mind
| mapping application, makes a great writing
| planning tool. A final release of version 0.9
| has been a long time coming, but the current
| release candidates are very usable and
| stable, and I would recommend making the
| extra effort to install one of these rather
| than an 0.8 âstableâ release. Fortunately,
| the 0.9 RCs have made it into the standard
| Ubuntu 10.04 repository.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-freemind-writing-planner

Osd-lyrics - Best lyrics Finder tool Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to
| the best lyrics finder tool I have ever used,
| osd-lyrics. Just imagine, while you are
| listening songs and facebooking or whatever
| you usually do, an application is fetching
| and displaying lyrics "in sync" with the song
| being played. "Well, many player plugins do
| that, nothing new ". Alright then, "well"
| first of all these plugins don't display the
| lyrics in sync and secondly this software
| supports more than 10 different music
| players, yup! its player independent.
`----

http://linuxers.org/article/osd-lyrics-best-lyrics-tool-ever

9 of the Best Free Linux Terminal Emulators

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100529194444887/TerminalEmulators.html