[News] Reviews of Slackware 13.1 and Pardus 2009.2 RC

  • Subject: [News] Reviews of Slackware 13.1 and Pardus 2009.2 RC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:20:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Slackware 13.1: A Linux Distro That Gets Out of the Way

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware Linux is still going strong. The
| Slackware Linux Project released Slackware
| 13.1 on May 24th.This is just a little by shy
| of the 17th anniversary of Slackware 1.0 and
| not quite a year after Slackware 13.0. Delve
| back into yesteryear with me; you're in for a
| treat.
|
| [...]
|
| You've probably surmised that Slackware isn't
| for everyone as a full-time OS. It's not.
| Slackware is for users who like a basic,
| solid Linux distribution that makes very few
| assumptions about how the system is going to
| be used. That approach means that Slackware
| is perfect for a small percentage of Linux
| users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/314666-slackware-131-a-linux-distro-that-gets-out-of-the-way

Spotlight on Linux: Slackware Linux 13.1

,----[ Quote ]
| People sometimes ask which distribution to
| try if they want to learn how Linux works.
| Common answers are Gentoo, Arch, or Debian.
| However, I disagree. Each of these distros
| teach users their particular brand of Linux.
| There's only one truly pure Linux, and that
| is Slackware.
|
| Slackware is the oldest surviving Linux
| distribution. In its early years, Patrick
| Volkerdin rolled up a kernel, init,
| libraries, desktop, and applications to make
| Linux easier for users. And that's still what
| he is doing today. He doesn't change
| anything, he doesn't customize anything.
| Every component is exactly how the original
| developers intended. For example, users get a
| vanilla kernel and default desktop
| configuration.
|
| [...]
|
| So, all in all, besides the partitioning
| requirement and the lack of multimedia
| support, Slackware is just as up-to-date and
| easy-to-use as any Linux distribution. Like a
| split personality, today's Slackware is
| steeped in tradition yet surprisingly modern.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spotlight-linux-slackware-linux-13

Preview: Pardus 2009.2 Release Candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of Linux Pardus 2009.2 is near so
| I wanted to give the Beta a run and see
| what's new before I actually get my hands on
| the final release a few days/weeks from now.
| Unfortunately, the link to the beta from
| DISTROWATCH was broken. In all fairness, that
| link is broken on the Pardus official WEBSITE
| as well. I kept looking and was lucky enough
| to find a link to the Release Candidate,
| which actually makes more sense for a fair
| preview article. In fact, this RC is so
| complete that this almost feels like a
| review!
|
| [...]
|
| Some time ago I compared Ubuntu 10.04 and
| Windows 7. Back then I stated that Windows 7
| made things very simple at the expense of
| diversity and choice. In other words,
| everything was intuitive because options were
| very limited and mostly predefined by
| developers. I was essentially justifying that
| Ubuntu's arguably more complicated interface
| was the result of its great flexibility and
| freedom. PCLinuxOS 2010, Linux Mint 9 and
| specially Pardus 2009.2 have demonstrated
| that a much better job can be done in making
| the Linux desktop accessible to anyone
| without compromising its power.
`----

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/06/preview-pardus-20092-release-candidate.html

Recent:

Pardus: A Linux distribution for the end user

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/16/pardus-a-linux-distribution-for-the-end-user/