[News] Open Hardware: New Examples of the Movement's Adoption

  • Subject: [News] Open Hardware: New Examples of the Movement's Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:26:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Courage to Screw Up: Why DIY Is Good for You

,----[ Quote ]
| The DIY movement is growing every year, with
| no signs of slowing down. In May, Make held
| its fifth annual Maker Faire in San Mateo,
| California, where 95,000 people came to
| celebrate the unique rewards of DIY. This
| year, Maker Faire is also coming to Detroit
| and New York. I hope you can come and
| participate in the transformative power of
| DIY.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-frauenfelder/home-diy-the-courage-to-s_b_589371.html

Bumblebee Labâ Launch the Hexaboard OSPG

,----[ Quote ]
| Hexaboard's architecture is Open Source under
| "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
| 3.0" license.
`----

http://www.pr.com/press-release/238085

Qbo â The Tiny Open Source Robot Wants to Invigorate Human-Machine Interaction

,----[ Quote ]
| Francisco Paz (aka TheCorpora) has released
| new information about his open source robot
| Qbo. The diminutive wheeled bot stands only
| 456mm (18 inches) tall but is packed with
| sensors, including two high definition web
| cameras in its eyes. TheCorpora plans on
| using Qboâs stereoscopic vision to let it
| react to people and objects in a realistic
| manner with face tracking, depth perception,
| and gesture detection. The robot will also be
| capable of speech recognition and synthesis.
| If all goes according to plan, the Qbo could
| serve as a versatile open source platform,
| allowing programmers to explore and perfect
| the ways in which humans and robots interact.
`----

http://singularityhub.com/2010/05/30/qbo-the-tiny-open-source-robot-wants-to-invigorate-human-machine-interaction/

Mark's new book: Made by Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| My new book is out! Made by Hand is about the
| fun and fulfillment I got from making my own
| stuff. I wrote about my not-always-successful
| attempts to do things like raise chickens,
| keep bees, grow and preserve food and make my
| own musical instruments.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/27/marks-new-book-made.html

Recent:

Qbo, Based On Linux, To Join Growing Field Of Open Source Robots

,----[ Quote ]
| Slowly but surely, the field of open source
| robotics has expanded, and we've covered
| some of the most promising robot projects
| before. These include the iCub, which runs
| on an open source software platform found
| here, and open source robotics competition
| entries, with participants from all around
| the world. Now, one of the more interesting
| new open source robots is Qbo (shown), a
| Linux-based robot from the folks at
| thecorpora.com.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/qbo-based-on-linux-to-join-growing-field-of-open-source-robots