[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Happy About ARM Support

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Happy About ARM Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:11:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Shuttleworth: Excited by Linux on ARM movement

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as making for a consistent
| platform for Linux across all major ARM
| devices, the other major advantage of the
| initiative, says Shuttleworth, is that it
| will speed up time to market for
| developers. âIf you can develop your
| software for âlinux on ARMâ, rather than a
| specific CPU, you can choose the right
| hardware for your project later in the
| development cycle, and reduce the time
| required for enablement of that hardware.â
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/shuttleworth-excited-by-linux-on-arm-movement/

Linaro: Accelerating Linux on ARM

,----[ Quote ]
| At our last UDS in Belgium it was notable
| how many people were interested in the ARM
| architecture. There have always been
| sessions at UDS about lightweight
| environments for the consumer electronics
| and embedded community, but this felt
| tangibly different. I saw questions being
| asked about ARM in server and cloud
| tracks, for example, and in desktop
| tracks. Thatâs new.
|
| So Iâm very excited at todayâs
| announcement of Linaro, an initiative by
| the ARM partner ecosystem including
| Freescale, IBM, Samsung, ST-Ericsson and
| TI, to accelerate and unify the field of
| Linux on ARM. That is going to make it
| much easier for developers to target ARM
| generally, and build solutions that can
| work with the amazing diversity of ARM
| hardware that exists today.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/427

3-Chip firms form venture to boost Linux push

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE65203320100603