[News] Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science Has Fedora GNU/Linux Deployed

  • Subject: [News] Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science Has Fedora GNU/Linux Deployed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:34:04 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The gift of a desktop, part one

,----[ Quote ]
| Giving someone a desktop is a moving
| experience. I've done it hundreds of times.
| It was my job to deploy desktops with Red Hat
| or Fedora 2000-2006 for Carnegie Mellon
| School of Computer Science. There, some of
| the brightest minds would be there to receive
| it.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/06/02/the-gift-of-a-desktop-part-one/

Cut the fat with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Cutting costs is at or near the top of every
| IT managerâs priority list. Moving your
| enterprise from proprietary to Linux-based
| systems may be one of the best ways to
| increase efficiency while reducing your
| overall expenses. Here is a glimpse at just
| three cost-cutting perspectives you may not
| have considered before.
`----

http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=2611

Recent:

Fedora 13 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| The tests carried out included OpenArena,
| Warsow, World of Padman, PostgreSQL, Unpack-
| Linux, Bullet, C-Ray, x264, NAS Parallel
| Benchmarks, John The Ripper, and TTSIOD 3D
| Renderer. This testing was done by the
| Phoronix Test Suite.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora13_vs_ubuntu1004&num=1

Riding the Rocket: A CEOâs Look at Fedora 13 âGoddardâ

,----[ Quote ]
| I also like the more polished desktop look
| and feel. Menus are simpler and more
| consistent thanks to the work of the Fedora
| Desktop team. The Fedora Design team has also
| been hard at work in making the icons in the
| default installation match a single look and
| feel. Iâm looking forward to trying out other
| desktop features in Fedora 13 including its
| solutions for scanning, microblogging and
| photo management. (Heading on vacation soon,
| and plan to take a lot of pics!) Iâm able to
| rely on Fedora to just work out of the box
| more than ever before.
`----

http://press.redhat.com/2010/06/01/riding-the-rocket-a-ceos-look-at-fedora-13-%E2%80%9Cgoddard%E2%80%9D/

First look: Fedora 13 from Red Hat