[News] Desktop GNU/Linux and Printers: "It Just Works (TM)"

  • Subject: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux and Printers: "It Just Works (TM)"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:35:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Samsung ML-1640 USB Printer and Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

,----[ Quote ]
| It Just Works (TM)
|
| I switched on the printer and plugged in
| the USB cable. Immediately I started to
| click through to the printer setup area to
| see if I could set it up. Suddenly my eye
| caught a little dialog popup next to my
| network monitor.
`----

http://g33q.co.za/2010/06/06/samsung-ml-1640-usb-printer-and-ubuntu-lucid-lynx/

Many printers are actually running embedded Linux.

Recent:

HP: webOS coming to slates and printers

,----[ Quote ]
| CEO confirms Palm operating system heading
| to more than just phones
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33181/hp-webos-printers-slate-tablets

HP: WebOS headed to Internet-connected printers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20005315-260.html