[News] Openness Examples Ranging From Access to Data and Books

  • Subject: [News] Openness Examples Ranging From Access to Data and Books
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:26:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

World's tiniest open source violin

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/05/worlds-tiniest-open.html

Go fly a kite: Mapping the oil spill the open source way

,----[ Quote ]
| Since arriving, we've managed to mobilize
| small teams of Gulf Coast residents,
| working with local nonprofit Louisiana
| Bucket Brigade. Thanks to the fishermen
| and charter boat captains whose livelihood
| is at stake, we've been able to get teams
| out on boats almost every day. Taken from
| balloons at as high as 1500 feet, our
| photography is of higher resolution and
| greater coverage than much of what the
| press has, and we're now coordinating a
| nationwide effort to stitch the imagery
| into map overlays, which will be viewable
| in Google Earth as well as more
| traditional GIS tools. Most importantly,
| the data we are collecting is released
| into the public domain and is available
| for free here.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/6/mapping-oil-spill-open-source-way

Open Data:

Where's my bus? Open data enables real-time route info for Boston riders

,----[ Quote ]
| Traditionally, transit agencies are the
| sole source of bus information for
| consumers. Agencies build their own
| countdown signs, launch their own
| websites, and build their own smartphone
| applications to get information to
| customers. Following in the footsteps of
| the NWS, MassDOT and the Massachusetts Bay
| Transit Authority (MBTA) decided to open
| data for software developers for the first
| time in September 2009. Within two months,
| six trip planning applications had been
| built by developers including websites, a
| desktop widget, and smartphone apps. In
| Robinâs words, âThese were as good or
| better than anything we would have built
| on our own.â
`----

http://opensource.com/government/10/6/wheres-my-bus-open-data-enables-real-time-route-info-boston-riders

Government spending details published

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has published millions of
| public spending data  as part of what
| David Cameron says are efforts to lift its
| "cloak of secrecy".
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10233240.stm

Open pharmaceutical innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to infectious diseases,
| sharing is generally discouraged. But
| recently, pharmaceutical giant
| GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) opened up the
| designs behind 13,500 chemical compounds,
| which the company narrowed down from over
| two million, that may be capable of
| fighting malaria.
|
| The process of determing which compounds
| could yield a malaria drug is time
| consuming and complex, but GSK hopes to
| inspire other researchers to pool their
| intellectual property and work together to
| develop new and better medicines to fight
| the diseases that are rampant in the
| worldâs poorest countries.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/2/open-pharmaceutical-innovation