[News] Multimedia Applications for GNU/Linux: Examples of Available Tools

  • Subject: [News] Multimedia Applications for GNU/Linux: Examples of Available Tools
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:20:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LiVES mixes realtime video performance and non-linear editing in one professional quality application.

,----[ Quote ]
| LiVES (LiVES is a Video Editing System) is
| a free software video editing program and
| VJ tool, released under the GNU General
| Public License version 3 or later. There
| are binary versions available for most
| popular Linux distributions (including
| Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora Core, Suse,
| Slackware, Arch Linux and Mandriva). There
| are also ports for BSD, and it will run
| under Mac OS X/Darwin, Solaris and IRIX.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/06/lives-mixes-realtime-video-performance.html

Vivia is a video editing program for Linux that offers very user-friendly editing of DV video material.

,----[ Quote ]
| Vivia is Free Software with a GPL license.
|
| Try your hand at film making with this
| video editing software.
|
| Vivia allows you to edit videos, cut out
| important sequences, add effects etc.
| Vivia can handle both AVI and DV files and
| has a recovery function that restores you
| files should the tool crash.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/06/vivia-is-video-editing-program-for.html

DeaDBeeF - Ultimate Music Player For GNU/Linux

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/deadbeef-ultimate-music-player-for-gnulinux.html

[GIMP Audiocast] Episode 142: Waterfront

,----[ Quote ]
| In the begin I talk a bit about difficulties
| in the forum and my thoughts about flattr.
| The TOC
|
|     03:25 Subscribe to the RSS feed
|     04:35 flattr
|     06:30 An image from the Europahafen
|     08:15 Goal: Enhance the contrast between
|     old and new
|     08:25 Rotation correction
|     10:15 Saving as XCF
|     10:45 Cropping
|     11:25 Fixing the aspect ratio
|     13:15 Duplicating the layer before
|     tweaking the colours
|     14:05 Adjusting the curve to get more
|     contrast
|     15:35 Desaturationg parts of the image
|     with a layer in saturation mode
|     20:00 Adding sepia colour
|     22:20 Colour layer mode
`----

http://meetthegimp.org/episode-142-waterfront/

Recent:

CinePaint is an open source computer program for painting and retouching bitmap frames of films.

,----[ Quote ]
| It is a fork of version 1.0.4 of the GNU
| Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).
|
| It is likely the most successful open
| source tool in feature motion picture work
| today. It is free software under the GNU
| General Public License.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/06/cinepaint-is-open-source-computer.html

Slideshow creator is a GUI to create, modify and preview jpg (jpeg) images slideshows to be later finalized with dvd-slideshow.

,----[ Quote ]
| With Slideshow Creator and dvd-slideshow
| you can transform your pictures in a
| beautiful dvd-quality slide show rich of
| fashinating effects like ken burns, pan
| and animated transitions.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/06/slideshow-creator-is-gui-to-create.html

The Blue screen of Death Screensavers on Linux

http://linuxers.org/tutorial/blue-screen-death-screensaver-linux

Netactview, a graphical tool to monitor Network Activity on a Linux system

http://linuxers.org/article/netactview-graphical-tool-monitor-network-activity-linux-system

Midori â A Lightweight Web Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been looking for a nice WebKit
| based web browser for Linux, Midori is a
| browser worth checking out. Although it's
| still in early stages of development (the
| current version is 0.2.5,) it provides a
| fairly complete set of features for a web
| browser.
`----

http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/05/midori-a-lightweight-web-browser/

Midori Web Browser

http://beginlinux.com/appsm/midori/midori-web-browser

Exaile 0.3.1.2 Has Been Released [Linux Music Player]

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/exaile-0312-has-been-released-linux.html