[News] Bidding Against Free Software (or Not Offering Tender) Can be Criminal

  • Subject: [News] Bidding Against Free Software (or Not Offering Tender) Can be Criminal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 20:46:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

When should excluding open source be illegal?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week Laurent Bounin of Savoir Faire
| Linux in Quebec wrote in with good news.
|
| A Canadian court ruled the provincial
| government broke the law in 2006 when it
| upgraded Windows on 800 workstations and
| excluded open source from the bid.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/when-should-excluding-open-source-be-illegal/6640

Did Canada Just Rule In Favor of Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, numerous governments and
| government entities around the world have
| issued mandates regarding increased adoption
| of open source software. We've written about
| the trend from numerous angles, but one of
| the more interesting spins on this trend has
| just occurred, as reported by Savoir-faire
| Linux. A Canadian court ruled that Quebec
| broke the law when it migrated 800
| workstations to Microsoft software without
| performing a "serious and documented search"
| for alternatives.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/did-canada-just-rule-in-favor-of-open-source

The same should be done to those who exclude Linux.

Related:

Biggest Contender In Mobile Space: Ubuntu MID

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fcreative.asp?edid=27333