[News] Malta Prioritises Free Software

Malta: Open source preferred

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government of Malta has issued a new
| directivePDF instructing all of its agencies
| to give preference to the use of open source
| software (OSS) throughout government.
| According to the directive, Malta will adopt
| free software using the definition  set by
| the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and it
| says that, "Where it is not possible to make
| use of OSS in the implementation of
| solutions, appropriate evidence shall be made
| available."
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Malta-Open-source-preferred-1017494.html

Recent:

MT: Government starts open source user group

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/mt-government-starts-open-source-user-group

Malta Open Source End User Group

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Open Source Software (Foss) has
| reached appropriate levels of maturity in
| terms of quality and reach; Foss is also
| being adopted as a mainstream solution and
| also an alternative to proprietary
| solutions. The Malta Information Technology
| Agency (Mita) seeks to adopt cost-effective
| and non-disruptive OSS within government
| and is therefore seeking open
| participation, collaboration and
| transparency through the creation of a
| Government of Malta Open Source End User
| Group to become a major driving force
| behind the evolution of Open Source
| initiatives.
`----

http://www.maltabusinessweekly.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=8675

â 2 scheme for teachers and students for StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Maltese students and teachers can purchase StarOffice applications software
| for a once-only payment of â2.
`----

http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/publish/financial/article_5033.shtml

Related:

IBM Linux education programme [in Malta]

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the ICT education initiatives is the Linux Education
| Programme, through which 60 persons who already work in the
| ICT industry ambit will certify themselves as Linux Entry
| Level Administrators.
`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=48291

Leo Brincat's missionary zeal - Malta and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=44531