[News] Linux-Led Initiative Lobbies the Government to Adopt Software Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Linux-Led Initiative Lobbies the Government to Adopt Software Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:07:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source for America Wants To Give The Federal Government An Openness Report Card

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source for America, an organization
| sponsored and supported by some of the
| biggest names in the FOSS world has launched
| a study to measure openness in government.
| With today being the 6 month anniversary of
| President Obama's "Openness in Government"
| directive, which directs "executive
| departments and agencies to take specific
| actions to implement principles of
| transparency, participation and
| collaboration."
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/open-source-america-wants-give-federal-govern

Report Card on Federal Openness

http://opensource.com/government/10/6/report-card-federal-openness

Open Source for America to Measure Openness and Transparency Across U.S. Federal Government Agencies

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100608005749&newsLang=en

Recent:

OSFA Submits Guidlines to Obama Administration

,----[ Quote ]
| Check out OpenGov Tracker. The ideas are
| there, with good discussion, but Iâm
| doubtful about the numbers. The âtop ideasâ
| all have under 100 votes. Itâs a new site,
| sure, but I wonder if people can get
| enthusiastic about trying to influence the
| government.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/02/osfa-submits-guidlines-to-obama-administration/

Is Microsoft behind Google legal challenge?

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet search giant Google says complaints
| to the European Commission that it is using
| its dominanent position to reduce rivals'
| visibility are funded indirectly by
| Microsoft.
|
| Google claims the complaints against them in
| part derive from a lobbying body whose
| largest funder is Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Foundem is a member of Initiative for a
| Competitive Online Marketplace (ICOMP), a
| Brussels-based lobbying group primarily
| funded by Microsoft, who have been
| historically critical of Google's power.
`----

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/is+microsoft+behind+google+legal+challenge/3560257

EU Opens Antitrust Investigation Into Google. Microsoftâs Fingerprints Are Everywhere.

,----[ Quote ]
| Ciao (which is now called Ciao Bing) is the
| Microsoft-owned German shopping site making
| one of the complaints. Microsoft purchased
| them in 2008 for nearly $500 million. The
| others are Foundem, a UK-based shopping
| site, and EJustice.fr, a French site that
| does legal search inquiries. All three are
| claiming that Googleâs search dominance is
| hurting their businesses. And Foundem is
| claiming that Google has placed a âsearch
| penaltyâ on its site, which has crippled it.
|
| [...]
|
| Update: Hereâs a post on Googleâs Public
| Policy Blog. Not surprisingly, Google makes
| quick note of both Ciao and Foundemâs ties
| to Microsoft.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/23/eu-antitrust-google-microsoft/

Committed to competing fairly

,----[ Quote ]
| Regarding Ciao!, they were a long-time
| AdSense partner of Googleâs, with whom we
| always had a good relationship. However,
| after Microsoft acquired Ciao! in 2008
| (renaming it Ciao! from Bing) we started
| receiving complaints about our standard
| terms and conditions. They initially took
| their case to the German competition
| authority, but it now has been transferred
| to Brussels.
`----

http://googlepolicyeurope.blogspot.com/2010/02/committed-to-competing-fairly.html

Google, under antitrust scrutiny, points its finger at Microsoft

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/02/google_under_antitrust_scrutiny_points_a_finger_at_microsoft.html

What An Anti-Google Whisper Campaign Looks Like

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/What-An-AntiGoogle-Whisper-siliconalley-15415021.html?.v=5