[News] Openness and Freedom in Software and Beyond Increases Productivity and Trust

  • Subject: [News] Openness and Freedom in Software and Beyond Increases Productivity and Trust
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:09:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Trust: the catalyst of the open source way

,----[ Quote ]
| Collaboration works better when you trust the
| people with whom you are collaborating.
| Transparency is more believable when you
| trust those who are opening up to you. And it
| is much easier for the best ideas to win when
| there is a base level of trust in the
| community that everyone is competent and has
| the best interests of the project at heart.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/5/trust-catalyst-open-source-way

Missing the Message in Nanotechnology

,----[ Quote ]
| But this idea of sharing, which is so
| critical to the advancement of science, is
| almost anathema to nationalistic aims that
| fuels so much government nanotech funding.
| So all of these huge government
| investments that are supposed to put one
| country or region ahead of all the others
| is almost diametrically opposed to the
| sharing of these facilities. The rub will
| be that the nanotechnology advancements
| that these various governments are seeking
| will not come about through this race to
| put your region ahead of all the others
| but sharing your facilities with all the
| others.
`----

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/missing-the-message-in-nanotechnology

Cathy Casserly: Open Education and Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| At the beginning of this year we announced
| a revised approach to our education plans,
| focusing our activities to support of the
| Open Educational Resources (OER) movement.
| In order to do so we have worked hard to
| increase the amount of information
| available on our own site â in addition to
| a new Education landing page and our OER
| portal explaining Creative Commonsâ role
| as legal and technical infrastructure
| supporting OER, we have been conducting a
| series of interviews to help clarify some
| of the challenges and opportunities of OER
| in todayâs education landscape.

What's the Point of Hacktivism?

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to the Internet, it's easy to
| engage in big issues - environmental
| crises, oppression, injustice. Too easy:
| all it takes is a click and that email is
| winging its way to who knows where, or
| that tasteful twibbon has been added to
| your avatar. If you still think this helps
| much, try reading Evgeny Morozov's blog
| Net Effect, and you will soon be disabused
| (actually, read it anyway - it's very well
| written).
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/06/whats-point-of-hacktivism.html

Why Sharing Will Be Big Business

,----[ Quote ]
| In answer to that last question, no and
| yes: I don't think we should regard this
| as old-style rental over the Internet, but
| a new kind of sharing where people spread
| the cost of rivalrous goods. However you
| look at it, though, it is going to be big.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-sharing-will-be-big-business.html

We can accomplish more by sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| I first learned about the open source way
| years ago as a tech lawyer in a private
| law firm when I was introduced to Red Hat.
| I found the open source model interesting,
| but from a different perspective than
| developers. For context, at the time, many
| technology licensing lawyers started
| talking about open source because of the
| innovative use of copyright law to protect
| transparency and sharing of the open
| source code through the general public license (GPL).
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/we-can-accomplish-more-sharing

Open Source Project Looks for Better TB Treatments

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-project-looks-for-better-tb-treatments