[News] How HP Uses GNU/Linux to Compete Better

  • Subject: [News] How HP Uses GNU/Linux to Compete Better
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:22:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HP leverages Linux, less known for contribution

,----[ Quote ]
| The 451 Group has published another open
| source strategy Spotlight report, this time
| turning our attention to longtime Linux server
| vendor Hewlett-Packard, which continues to
| dedicate resources to Linux and other open
| source software communities, but which also
| has a lower profile than others known for
| their open source contributions.
|
| HP has long been a big supporter of Linux and
| other open source software, particularly
| through its testing, certification and support
| of Linux on its ProLiant x86 and now Integrity
| IA-64-based servers. But despite its top
| market position, the company has also
| historically been overshadowed by others
| similarly supporting Linux and open source.
|
| [...]
|
| HP recognizes that users and customers â in
| financial services, insurance,
| telecommunications, healthcare, and among
| other early adopters â no longer need to be
| convinced on Linux. What they need now is
| guidance on adapting their strategy and
| effectively incorporating Linux and other open
| source software.
|
| More is available in the HP Spotlight report,
| which is available to existing 451 Group
| clients. Non-clients, as always, may apply for
| trial access via the same link.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/06/09/hp-leverages-linux-less-known-for-contribution/

Why Isn't Linux the Standard Secondary OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, many people use multiple operating
| systems now, and so few use Linux as one of
| their choices. Among other reasons why Linux
| can function as a great sidekick to the more
| prevalent operating systems is that it's more
| secure. If you're going to jump into, say, an
| online banking app, why not do it in Linux,
| where the hackers and script kiddies aren't?
|
| Additionally, many Linux distros instantly get
| you going on tasks instead of staring at
| hourglasses and are streamlined for quick
| results. It has long been a presumption in the
| Linux community that for it to really succeed,
| it has to be the sole OS on everyone's
| desktop. Why does it? The answer is that it
| doesn't have to do that.
|
| I'm already contemplating adding a Linux
| distro to the VMware-based system I'm running,
| and evaluating which one to use. It makes lots
| of sense.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/why-isnt-linux-the-standard-secondary-os

Recent:

HP launches ePrint cloud service and four web-enabled printers

,----[ Quote ]
| At presstime, HP had yet to respond to a
| request for OS details, but it would seem
| that all four new printers are based on
| Linux. The e-All-in-One printers are not,
| however, the WebOS-imbued printers that HP
| recently said it planned to offer in the
| future. (HP's pending acquisition of Palm
| and its Linux-based WebOS operating system
| is expected to be completed soon.)
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HP-ePrint-and-Photosmart-eallinone-printers/

HP: webOS coming to slates and printers

,----[ Quote ]
| CEO confirms Palm operating system heading
| to more than just phones
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33181/hp-webos-printers-slate-tablets

HP: WebOS headed to Internet-connected printers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20005315-260.html