[News] A Look at Btrfs Performance, Why the ZFS File System Stays Out, Next3 Introduced

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Btrfs Performance, Why the ZFS File System Stays Out, Next3 Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:10:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Where The Btrfs Performance Is At Today

,----[ Quote ]
| For testing we used a ZaReason Verix notebook
| that we are currently reviewing. This notebook
| that is based upon an MSI MS-1656 has an Intel
| Core i7 Q720 processor, 6GB of system memory,
| an 80GB Intel SSDSA2MH08 SSD, and a NVIDIA
| GeForce GTS 250M GPU. We loaded Ubuntu 10.04
| LTS on this powerful notebook with the Linux
| 2.6.35-rc1 kernel while continuing to use
| X.Org Server 1.7.6, GCC 4.4.3, and the GNOME
| 2.30.0 desktop.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux2635_btrfs&num=1

When open source licenses collide

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs an attempt to port the file system of
| Open Solaris into a version of Linux, and was
| created by the good people at the Lawrence
| Livermore Lab.
|
| The problem, as Brian Behlendorf (above) noted
| at Github, is that the licenses are
| incompatible. ZFS must be offered under Sunâs
| CDDL. Linux, of course, is licensed under the
| GPL. You canât combine the two.
|
| It would be like, as the late Richard Pryor
| noted in one of his best monologues, trying to
| mix regular milk with low-fat. It would
| explode.
|
| There are some kludgy work-arounds, Behlendorf
| noted. You can implement ZFS in a user space
| with FUSE, making it a derived work. Or you
| can modify and build it separately from the
| Linux, then build the combination yourself.
| But this is very hard.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/when-open-source-licenses-collide/6649

CTERA Networks Announces Advanced Snapshot Capability in Next3 File System for Linux

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ctera-networks-announces-advanced-snapshot,1334599.shtml

Recent:

10 Reasons Why ZFS Rocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's (NASDAQ: JAVA) open-source ZFS file system
| has some amazing features. It was originally
| designed for Solaris and unveiled in 2005, but
| you'll also find it in OpenSolaris and related
| distributions. In the future it may well become
| a popular file system to run with Linux and BSD
| as well.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/features/article.php/3849556

FreeNAS 0.7 adds ZFS support