[News] New Introductions and Reviews of Applications for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Introductions and Reviews of Applications for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:10:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Money- A look at Personal Financial Software for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to personal financial
| software choices, the Windows folks have
| historically had plenty of choicesâ with a
| few major ones that seemed obvious.
| However, the fine folks over on the Linux
| side of the wall have not had the same
| corporate weight thrown into its available
| products, making it a bit harder to choose
| a decent package.
`----

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/open-money-personal-financial-software-linux/

TestDisk is a Great Recovery Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| TestDisk is a great tool for recovering
| files from a broken disk. My wife's hard
| drive crashed yesterday and it turned out
| to be a corrupt boot sector. I booted to a
| Kubuntu Live USB and was able to use
| TestDisk to recover the MBR from the backup
| (it was NTFS which keeps a backup at a
| different part of the drive) and copy the
| files I needed to a USB key.
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/testdisk_is_a_great_recovery_tool

Openoffice.org-ogltrans, OptiPNG, Advanced PNG Optimizer. and Ospics, some images of operating system logos-mascots..

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org is a full-featured office
| productivity suite that provide a near
| drop-in replacement for Microsoft(R)
| Office.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/06/openofficeorg-ogltrans-optipng-advanced.html

Scribus: Worth the Effort for the Linux-Loving Desktop Publisher

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop publishing applications are
| different from word processing programs.
| Desktop publishing isn't a sit-and-start-
| typing task; it requires more input from
| the user in terms of page layout, spacing
| and how elements are arranged. This might
| require a little more learning on the
| user's part, but if you're on Linux and
| desktop publishing is your thing, Scribus
| provides a robust set of options.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Scribus-Worth-the-Effort-for-the-Linux-Loving-Desktop-Publisher-70157.html

Review: LuckyBackup for Linux systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Backups are a crucial aspect of any PC
| users work. No matter if you are a home
| user who uses the PC for home banking or a
| data center administrator who depends upon
| backups as the go-to failsafe for petabytes
| of company data, without a backup you could
| find yourself dead in the water.
|
| [...]
|
| If your Linux machines need a solid, GUI-
| based backup, you need to look at
| LuckyBackUp. Its flexibility and ease of
| use cannot be matched in any GUI-based
| Linux application. And just because
| LuckyBackUp is geared toward ease of use,
| doesnât mean it canât handle larger jobs.
| If your server has a GUI, LuckyBackUp can
| easily take care of that as well.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/products/?p=1379

Best 10 Mail Clients For Multi Platform

http://www.linuxnov.com/best-10-mail-clients-for-multi-platform/

- From the Sys Admin Toolbox: Logwatch

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we provided an introduction to
| the Linux system logs. (See Logs: Your
| Linux Systemâs Lovable Worker Bees.) Now,
| what will you, as a system administrator,
| use to watch logs? Logwatch, of course. As
| so many others have succinctly put it,
| messing with log files is a royal pain in
| the backside. Logwatch makes the experience
| of keeping track of system activity almost
| painless for you.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7800/1.html

Free Amp Modeler For Linux - Guitarix