[News] Tablets with Linux Spread, Canonical Joins

  • Subject: [News] Tablets with Linux Spread, Canonical Joins
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:40:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canonical developing Ubuntu OS for tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is preparing a version of the
| Ubuntu OS for tablet computers as the
| company looks to extend its presence in the
| mobile space, a company executive said.
|
| Tablets with the Ubuntu OS could become
| available late in winter 2011, said Chris
| Kenyon, Canonical's vice president of OEM
| services. The OS will be a lightweight
| version of Linux with a simplified, touch-
| friendly user interface.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/canonical-developing-ubuntu-os-tablets-778

Tablets take over Taipei

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, by making its Android software open
| source and allowing anyone to develop
| anything without all of the cloak-and-
| dagger secrecy and restrictions found in
| the Apple camp, is bound to emerge as the
| platform of choice sooner or later. Adding
| to this momentum is the fact that Android
| will be running on devices from multiple
| manufacturers and carriers; and that around
| 57% of Android's apps are free compared
| with only 25% of Apple's, according to
| analytics from Distimo, a website that
| monitors app stores. In the world of
| technology, the two essential ingredients
| for product success seem to be choice and
| the f-word - "free" - and Google offers
| both.
`----

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/LF05Dj02.html

Meet the QuokkaPad a 8-inch open-source tablet/e-reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest e-reader/tablet comes straight
| from Australia and itâs dubbed QuokkaPad.
`----

http://tablets-planet.com/2010/06/08/meet-the-quokkapad-a-8-inch-open-source-tablete-reader/

Android Half-Tablets: Smart Phones with 5 Inch Displays

,----[ Quote ]
| A recently leaked image of a Sony Ericsson
| Android smart phone is gaining plenty of
| attention. The device is rumored to be a
| new handset that will not only have the
| Google open source operating system, but it
| will be able to be used as a mini tablet
| and also as a mini netbook.
|
| These are made possible by a few basic
| features of the Android devices. The slide
| out QWERTY keyboard is the first part,
| while the large 5 inch display and the
| tilting upper face of the device make up
| for the whole ensemble. In many ways, there
| is plenty to be excited about with regards
| to the new Android device âif it turns out
| to be true. For now, we can expect plenty
| of focus on their new device.
`----

http://www.blog.moby1.co.uk/2010/06/industry-news/android-half-tablets-smart-phones-with-5-inch-displays.html

Recent:

2 screen Linux tablet/e-reader to replace textbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the prototype of the Kno a Linux
| based dual screen textbook replacement
| shown by californian startup Kakai at at
| the 8th Annual Conference of D: All Things
| Digital, otherwise known as D8
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/linux-dual-screen-e-reader-tablet

Kno: Big, Dual-Screen Tablet Debuts at D8

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197929/kno_big_dualscreen_tablet_debuts_at_d8.html