[News] Linux 2.6.34 in Review, 2.6.35 Now in RC3

  • Subject: [News] Linux 2.6.34 in Review, 2.6.35 Now in RC3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:14:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

2.6.34 is Out; Letâs Review

,----[ Quote ]
| NILFS2 is a different type of file system
| which is termed a log-structured file system.
| You can read a summary of it here. Rather than
| write to a tree structure such as a b-tree or
| an h-tree, either with or without a journal, a
| log-structured file system writes all data and
| metadata sequentially in a continuous stream
| that is called a log (actually it is a
| circular log). Because of this design it is
| very easy for NILFS2 to create snapshots and
| mount them along side the file system itself.
| But one of the more desirable features of
| NILFS2 is performance.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7793/1.html

Datalight Flash File System Supports Linux Kernel Version 2.6.34

http://www.pr.com/press-release/240522

Guest Blog: Rares Aioanei â Weekly Kernel Review (openSUSE Flavor)

,----[ Quote ]
| This week sees the launch of 2.6.35-rc2, plus
| other goodies, so letâs dive into it!
`----

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/06/11/guest-blog-rares-aioanei-weekly-kernel-review-opensuse-flavor/

Linux 2.6.35-rc3

,----[ Quote ]
| So I've been hardnosed now for a week -
| perhaps overly so - and hopefully that means
| that 2.6.35-rc3 will be better than -rc2 was.
| Not only do we have a number of regressions
| handled, we don't have that silly memory
| corruptor that bit so many people with -rc2
| and confused people with its many varied forms
| of bugs it seemed to take, depending on just
| what random memory it happened to corrupt.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/391863/

Recent:

Linux 2.6.34 Kernel Released! Time For 2.6.35

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI1Ng

Linux 2.6.34

,----[ Quote ]
| Nothing very interesting here, which is
| just how I like it. Various random fixes
| all over, nothing really stands out.
| Pretty much all of it is one- or few-
| liners, I think the biggest patch in the
| last week was fixing some semantics for
| the new SR-IOV VF netlink interface. And
| even that wasn't a _big_ patch by any
| means.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/16/89

What's new in Linux 2.6.34

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nouveau driver for GeForce graphics
| hardware now includes everything you need
| to dynamically generate open source
| firmware for NV50 GPUs on demand, so that
| 8xxx, 9xxx and GTX2x0 series GeForce
| graphics chips will now run without the
| controversial ctxprogs, generated using
| proprietary graphics drivers.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/What-s-new-in-Linux-2-6-34-1000122.html

Linux 2.6.34 Kernel Debuts With New Filesystems

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7067/1/