[News] A Look at Next3 File System for Linux (Ext3+snapshots)

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Next3 File System for Linux (Ext3+snapshots)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:16:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Next3: Ext3 with snapshots

,----[ Quote ]
| Snapshots are stored in special, filesystem-
| sized sparse files and are created by moving
| deleted or overwritten data blocks into the
| sparse file. When accessing the sparse file, all
| files are available in the version they were in
| when the snapshot was created â any holes in the
| snapshot file will automatically be filled in
| with the unchanged data in the original
| filesystem. Find more details about Next3 in an
| article at LWN and a paper released by the
| developersPDF. Next3 is available under the
| GPL 2.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Next3-Ext3-with-snapshots-1020107.html

The story of Next3Â and Thin-Provisioned Snapshots

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we're announcing Next3, a file system
| developed here at CTERA to provide efficient
| snapshot capabilities on our Cloud Attached
| Storage appliances. I wanted to elaborate a
| little on how and why this came to be, and
| what our considerations were in developing
| this.
`----

http://blog.ctera.com/2010/06/story-of-next3-and-thin-provisioned.html

CTERA Adds Data Protection to Linux File Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| CTERA Networks is giving the Linux Ext3 file
| system additional data protection in the form of
| new snapshot capabilities.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/continuity/news/article.php/3886651/CTERA-Adds-Data-Protection-to-Linux-File-Systems.htm

Recent:

CTERA Networks Announces Advanced Snapshot Capability in Next3 File System for Linux

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ctera-networks-announces-advanced-snapshot,1334599.shtml