[News] Karl Fischer From South Africa Speaks About Software Freedom, More FOSS in SA

  • Subject: [News] Karl Fischer From South Africa Speaks About Software Freedom, More FOSS in SA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:57:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Interview: Karl Fischer â Department Of Science and Technology South Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| Geeks love discussing new things. They love
| discussing new things over lunch even more. I
| had the pleasure of spending a very
| informative lunch with Karl Fischer recently.
| Here is a guy with a real passion for Open
| Source Software. A father of twins, he has a
| keen understanding of the FLOSS community in
| South Africa, and a passion for exposing more
| people to FLOSS in the country, especially
| youngsters.
`----

http://g33q.co.za/2010/06/11/interview-karl-fischer-department-of-science-and-technology-south-africa/

Top 5 ways to follow the 2010 World Cup on the go

,----[ Quote ]
| Footiefox Firefox addon
|
| Yes you guessed right. There is an addon for
| that. Footiefox brings the action on the pitch
| to your browser status bar. You choose your
| configurations to your taste and Footiefox
| does the rest for you, displaying real time
| updates in your browser's status bar as the
| action happens.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/06/top-5-ways-to-follow-2010-world-cup-on.html

FOSS lab software targeting AIDS, malaria, cancer

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation backs the Bika Laboratory
| Information Management System (LIMS) which is
| already in wide use in the water management,
| chemistry, wine and mining sectors. The
| software, which was originally developed in
| South Africa, has been downloaded more than 30
| 000 times and is available as free software.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/foss-lab-software-targeting-aids-malaria-cancer/

Recent:

South African Government using Drupal