[News] Loads of Coverage About EU Commission Supporting Software Freedom in Government

  • Subject: [News] Loads of Coverage About EU Commission Supporting Software Freedom in Government
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:10:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source for America Wants To Give The Federal Government An Openness Report Card

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/62215

EC comes out for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Open Forum European Summit, Neelie
| Kroes, the European Commission vice-president
| for the Digital Agenda, said that with
| improved interoperability comes improved
| competition, and, she added, competition is
| good for the European economy. However, she
| admitted that open source still has some way
| to go until it will be fully accepted.
|
| [...]
|
| "I am still a big fan of open standards. I
| believe in openness, and I believe in
| practising what one preaches," she said. "Some
| observers think 'open standards' is a tainted
| term that should not to be used in the absence
| of a generally recognised definition. Whatever
| the labels, what matters is the substance. I
| would urge all stakeholders to focus on the
| content of the package rather than the
| wrapping."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1653830/ec-comes-source

European Union starts project about economic effects of open government data

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week I talked to writer and open
| source advocate Marco Fioretti, who has just
| announced the start of a study on open data
| for the European Union. Fioretti is a long-
| time supporter of open source software, which
| he wrote about in a chapter of the O'Reilly
| book Open Government. Fioretti also held a
| seminar about open and prorietary formats at
| Pisa's Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, a
| major European college in the field of
| economics.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/european-union-starts-project.html

Europe may start to change its stance on interoperability & standards

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2010/06/11/europe-may-start-to-change-its-stance-on-interoperability-standards/

Proprietary software 'a waste of money', says EU commissioner

http://www.information-age.com/channels/business-applications/news/1260403/proprietary-software-a-waste-of-money-says-eu-commissioner.thtml

EU warns against proprietary software

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/eu-warns-against-proprietary-software-20100610-y0ew.html

Europe's Neelie Kroes Sticks To Her Open Source Guns

http://ostatic.com/blog/europes-neelie-kroes-sticks-to-her-open-source-guns

Tech companies will be strong-armed into openness, Commissioner vows

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2264559/european-standards-setting

Proprietary technology is a waste of money, says Kroes

,----[ Quote ]
| Am I totally satisfied with her speech? Of
| course not. There was no indication that the
| Commission would finally start to seriously
| migrate to Free Software, and use Open
| Standards. (I hear that instead, theyâre busy
| setting up Microsoft SharePoint.) There was no
| clear commitment to a strong definition of
| Open Standards in EIFv2.
|
| But Iâm not only an idealist, Iâm also a
| realist. And realistically, her speech was the
| best that weâll hear from a European
| Commissioner any time soon.
|
| So we at FSFE are taking Neelie Kroes very
| seriously when she says that âI expect
| interested parties to mostly turn to me to
| demand progress [on the Digital Agenda] - and
| rightly so.â This is an offer to get involved,
| and weâll take her up on it.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=359

Neelie Kroes, EU Competition Commissioner Pushes Open

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/11/neelie-kroes-eu-competition-commissioner-pushes-open/