[News] GNOME Comes to OLPC Devices, Chrome OS for Sub-notebooks Explained

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Comes to OLPC Devices, Chrome OS for Sub-notebooks Explained
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:08:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sugar Learning Platform and GNOME Desktop Now Available on One Laptop per Child XO-1.5

,----[ Quote ]
| One Laptop Per Child announced an update to
| the XO-1.5 which enables both Sugar Labs'
| Sugar Learning Platform and the GNOME free
| desktop. The Sugar Learning Platform has been
| featured on OLPC laptops since the original
| XO-1. The recent update introduces a more
| sophisticated interface for older students.
| Toggling between the two environments can be
| done with a single-click.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Sugar-Learning-Platform-and-GNOME-Desktop-Now-Available-on-One-Laptop-per-Child-XO-1.5

High School XO-1.5 - a New Laptop Build for Teenage Students!

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know OLPC as an amazing educational
| tool for primary school children in the
| developing world. But is it appropriate for
| high school students? Will teenagers flock to
| the XO's kid-friendly design and child-centric
| Sugar OS?
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/laptops/xo15/high_school_xo_laptop_uruguay.html

Chrome OS: Why so much confusion?

,----[ Quote ]
| What Chrome OS is not:
|
|     * It was never intended to be a
|     replacement for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS
|     X, or any of the Linux/UNIX -based
|     distributions.
|     * It is not going to cater to everybodyâs
|     style in computing.
|     * It will not necessarily bring everything
|     that you are looking for in an OS (see
|     previous statement).
`----

http://blog.hydrasystemsllc.com/2010/06/14/chrome-os-why-so-much-confusion/

Recent:

Lessons from One Laptop Per Child

,----[ Quote ]
| Video of Nicholas Negroponte, founder and
| chairman of One Laptop per Child, talking on
| the successes and lessons of the project.
`----

http://coffee.geek.nz/lessons-one-laptop-child.html

One Laptop Per Child Revamps Tablet Plans

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/26/olpc-ipad-apple-technology-negroponte.html