[News] Advice for Building Free Software Communities

  • Subject: [News] Advice for Building Free Software Communities
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:34:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How to find a community's cheeseheads when they aren't wearing foam hats

,----[ Quote ]
| 1) Find the people who bring ideas more often
| than opinions.
|
| Whether on a mailing list, a conference call,
| or at a meeting or event, it is pretty easy to
| tell who is active in a community.
|
| But activity is a red herring.
|
| Simply because someone is an active
| participant does not mean they are a key
| influencer in the community. I tend to look
| not for the people who are talking or emailing
| the most, but for the people who are
| generating ideas.
|
| In healthy communities, lots of folks are
| generating ideas. In unhealthy communities, a
| few people are generating ideas, and others
| are shooting them down.
|
| In my favorite communities, those run the open
| source way, there is a meritocracy of ideas
| where the best ideas always have a chance to
| win. My good friend and business partner David
| Burney taught me that the best way to generate
| the best idea is to generate a lot of ideas.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/how-find-communitys-cheeseheads-when-they-arent-wearing-foam-hats?sc_cid=70160000000IDmjAAG

Recent:

A Thriving FOSS Community on the North

,----[ Quote ]
| Living in Sweden, conferences usually
| include travelling abroad. This is all fun,
| but it also means spending time away from
| family and work. This in turn means catching
| up on work, i.e. spending even less time
| with the family. Not exactly what I want to
| do all my life.
|
| Recently this has changed. First of all, the
| free community conference FSCONS (held in
| Gothenburn Sweden), has gained more and more
| technical content (without losing the free
| community angle!). This means that it is
| more and more attractive to my flavour of
| geeks. This year, in November, they are even
| pursuing an embedded track and I
| definitively plan on both attending and
| speaking!
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/thriving-foss-community-north

The Contributor's Code: What Should be Expected of FLOSS Contributors?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/the-contributors-code-what-should-be-expected-of-floss-contributors