[News] Latest ACTA Backlash, Escape from âDigital Economy Actâ

  • Subject: [News] Latest ACTA Backlash, Escape from âDigital Economy Actâ
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 06:29:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WD12 on ACTA: 150 signatures to go, time to call!

,----[ Quote ]
| Only two weeks of plenary in Strasbourg are
| left for Members of the European Parliament
| (MEPs) to have a chance to sign Written
| Declaration 12 (WD12) on ACTA. 150 signatures
| are still missing, mostly from Germany, United
| Kingdom, Italy, and Poland. Every EU citizen
| is encouraged to call Strasbourg offices of
| non-signatories MEPs until thursday, 12:00, to
| urge them to sign WD12.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/wd12-on-acta-150-signatures-to-go-time-to-call

FFII backs Parliament Written Declaration 12-2010 on ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament Written Declaration
| 12/2010 led by MEPs FranÃoise Castex, Zuzana
| RoithovÃ, Alexander Alvaro, Stavros
| Lambrinidis receives backing from the
| Foundation of a Free Information
| Infrastructure (FFII), a European group for
| public education and consumer protection in
| the digital environment.
|
| The FFII analysed the current Anti-
| Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) draft
| and found many unintended consequences. For
| instance, sanctions against unauthorized "file
| sharing" in the digital environment would also
| stifle common electronic software distribution
| methods of operating systems and essential
| security updates. So far the Commission has
| not delivered an 'impact assessment' for these
| potential regulatory side effects.
`----

https://press.ffii.org/Press%20releases/FFII%20backs%20Parliament%20Written%20Declaration%2012-2010%20on%20ACTA

Eastern Europe â land of digital freedom?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the Baltic sea neighbors Finland and
| Estonia have declared Internet access to be a
| legal right. So Iâve been wonderingâ What are
| the chances of Southeast European countries,
| for once, not being late to the show but
| actually leading the race? What do I mean by
| that? First of all, Croatia and its neighbours
| would be wise to take advantage of the
| situation. While the UK, for example, is being
| mired down with a disastrous âDigital Economy
| Actâ, perhaps our country and maybe even our
| neighbors could go the other way.
`----

http://extweeme.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/eastern-europe-land-of-digital-freedom/

Recent:

India Comes Out Swinging Against ACTA at WTO

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government of India came out forcefully
| against ACTA this week in an intervention
| at the World Trade Organization.  The India
| position, which may well reflect the views
| of other ACTA-excluded countries,
| demonstrates that ACTA is emerging as a
| contentious political issue that extends
| well beyond civil society and business
| groups concerned with the agreement.
| Countries excluded from the ACTA process
| have to come to recognize the serious
| threat it represents both substantively as
| well as for the future of multilateral
| organizations.
|
| This growing concern from countries such as
| India represents a major new pressure point
| on the ACTA discussions.  The notion that
| ACTA countries could negotiate an agreement
| that would ultimately be used to pressure
| non-ACTA countries to conform without
| attracting opposition from those very
| countries was always unrealistic.  If the
| April ACTA round of talks was marked by the
| mounting pressure for greater transparency,
| the late June ACTA round of talks will
| undoubtedly have developing country
| opposition as its core concern.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5106/125/

ACTA and the Specter of Graduated Response

,----[ Quote ]
| This short paper, prepared for a workshop
| on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) and the Public Interest at American
| Universityâs Washington College of Law,
| considers the draft Internet provisions of
| ACTA in the context of concerns raised in
| the media that the treaty will require
| signatories to mandate graduated response
| regimes (Ã la Franceâs controversial HADOPI
| system) for online copyright enforcement.
| Although the Consolidated Text of ACTA,
| released in late April, confirms that
| mandatory graduated response is off the
| table for the treatyâs negotiators, the
| treaty in its current form both
| accommodates and promotes the adoption of
| graduated response. Moreover, opponents of
| graduated response should be wary of the
| fact that public law mechanisms â be they
| domestic or international â are not the
| only means by which graduated response can
| effectively become the law for Internet
| users. The United States and Ireland
| provide examples of the trend toward
| private ordering in the project of online
| copyright enforcement.

ACTA may hamper fight against climate change

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press%20releases/ACTA%20may%20hamper%20fight%20against%20climate%20change